Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skateboard accident2

1. Apr 19, 2016 #1
    I don't want any medical advice so please don't give it. I've got the best medical team in the country taking care of me. So please don't shut down this thread.

I have a large number of fans on this site, deservedly so, who want an update of my condition.

Yes, I had a skateboard accident and I went to the clinic and they said I may have chipped a metacarpal bone

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Hope you heal soon, Dirac. :smile:

4. Apr 19, 2016 #3
    Thanks, I'm waiting on the call from the radiologist. The primary doctor says it looks as though I may have a bone chip from the x-rays. It's my right hand, it's the hand that I'm solving the grand unified theory over with my scribblings. So it must be protected.

5. Apr 19, 2016 #4

OCR

:check:

6. Apr 19, 2016 #5

Evo

Reminds me of the song "Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when I'm perfect in every way". Hope you heal up soon. I just recently broke the middle finger on my right hand, I'm right handed, so that's my mouse hand. Just cracked, didn't even need to be set.

7. Apr 19, 2016 #6
    Lol. Well, I'm perfect in every way that doesn't involve the use of my right hand. I hope your middle finger heals fast too. I've always wanted to bond with you Evo, I just never thought it would be over broken right hands. But I guess you take what you can :oldsmile:

8. Apr 19, 2016 #7

Evo

:oldbiggrin: We're bonded, I bet I have more broken bones than you, I've broken my left arm 4 times, 3 times in 11 months twice in 2 weeks.
    Three broken fingers on my right hand, one finger seriously deformed due to an incompetent doctor that couldn't read an x-ray. Long story.

Anyway be careful with those skateboards!

9. Apr 19, 2016 #8
    Yeah, screw skateboarding. I'm done with that. I'm gonna stick with surfing. I'm the wipeout king, but when you wipeout surfing, your wrist hits the soft sea water, not solid pavement.

10. Apr 20, 2016 #9

berkeman

Not to mention the chainsaw incidents... :rolleyes:

11. Apr 22, 2016 #10
    The radiologist said I broke my triquetrum bone. Did you know you had a triquetrum bone? I didn't. Now I do. Every minute ?:)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/carpal-bones/img-20007898

I guess your wrist is made up of 8 small bones, carpal bones. The most commonly injured carpal bone is the scaphoid bone. But I didn't injure my scaphoid bone, I injured my triquetrum bone, so I'm special.

12. Apr 22, 2016 #11
    Broken bones suck, I've broken my ankle so many times the bone chips look like shrapnel on x-ray....lol

13. Apr 22, 2016 #12

berkeman

14. Apr 22, 2016 #13

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No! Don’t screw skating! It’s so much fun! :eek:

And, BTW, you do realize that water is not “soft” and if you hit the water the wrong way, it can feel as hard has pavement. Literally about half the students in my class surf (including some teachers) and they have wonderful stories to share :rolleyes:

15. Apr 22, 2016 #14

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Evo, what do you do? BMX biking?

16. Apr 22, 2016 #15

Evo

No, I walk around the house, a lot of accidents were from doing light gardening.

17. Apr 22, 2016 #16

jim mcnamara

Bone density can change with gender, age, and dietary factors. Here is a study that simply tabulated by age and gender.

Bad news: women > 60 had a nearly 7-fold increase in fractures:

I would guess that testosterone mediated behavior in younger men has an effect as well. Anyway:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10525717
    Age- and gender-specific rate of fractures in Australia: a population-based study.
    1999: Sanders KM1, Seeman E, Ugoni AM, Pasco JA, Martin TJ, Skoric B, Nicholson GC, Kotowicz MA

Bone density:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11063899

18. Apr 22, 2016 #17
    Not even a cast, just a wrist brace. They said to wear it for 6 to 8 weeks. They're very short on details. I think it may because I've got Obamacare. I may go in and squat territory in the medical clinic tomorrow, though, and get some answers.

19. Apr 22, 2016 #18

berkeman

Yeah, ask about range of motion (ROM) implications of the break with and without surgery. It may be no difference (I'm not familiar with that particular bone), but it's worth asking. As long as there are no ROM issue differences, no surgery and no cast can be good things. How are the swelling and pain doing?

20. Apr 22, 2016 #19
    I'm really psychologically depressed. The swelling is finally going down after 5 days. But my triquetrum bone still hurts. I can touch it. I don't think these people are sophisticated enough to understand "range of motion." Or at least they're pretending not to be because I got Obamacare.

21. Apr 22, 2016 #20

jim mcnamara

What you seem to be getting is poor medical care from an overloaded clinic. While I'm not a fan of how our medical system provides and pays for services, I think the the blame for poor care cause lies beyond obamacare. In any case, you are entitled to some decent answers about your wrist. Insist on getting them. Blaming a system you hate will not get the help you need. Period. It may make you feel better - for a short period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted