Skateboard Accident: Update on My Condition

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skateboard
In summary, the conversation revolved around someone's recent injury from a skateboarding accident. The injured person mentioned having the best medical team and not wanting any medical advice. They also shared updates on their condition and the possibility of a bone chip. Another member shared their own experience with broken bones and the conversation turned to discussing bone density and gender differences in fracture rates. There was also a discussion about the injured person's wrist injury and the potential need for surgery. The conversation ended with a discussion about range of motion and the injured person seeking more information from their medical team.
DiracPool
I don't want any medical advice so please don't give it. I've got the best medical team in the country taking care of me. So please don't shut down this thread.

I have a large number of fans on this site, deservedly so, who want an update of my condition.

Yes, I had a skateboard accident and I went to the clinic and they said I may have chipped a metacarpal bone

Likes Fervent Freyja
Biology news on Phys.org
Hope you heal soon, Dirac. :smile:

Likes DiracPool
berkeman said:
Hope you heal soon, Dirac.

Thanks, I'm waiting on the call from the radiologist. The primary doctor says it looks as though I may have a bone chip from the x-rays. It's my right hand, it's the hand that I'm solving the grand unified theory over with my scribblings. So it must be protected.

berkeman said:
Hope you heal soon, Dirac. :smile:

:check:

Likes DiracPool
DiracPool said:
I have a large number of fans on this site, deservedly so, who want an update of my condition.
Reminds me of the song "Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when I'm perfect in every way". Hope you heal up soon. I just recently broke the middle finger on my right hand, I'm right handed, so that's my mouse hand. Just cracked, didn't even need to be set.

Likes gjonesy and DiracPool
Evo said:
Reminds me of the song "Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when I'm perfect in every way".

Lol. Well, I'm perfect in every way that doesn't involve the use of my right hand. I hope your middle finger heals fast too. I've always wanted to bond with you Evo, I just never thought it would be over broken right hands. But I guess you take what you can :oldsmile:

DiracPool said:
Lol. Well, I'm perfect in every way that doesn't involve the use of my right hand. I hope your middle finger heals fast too. I've always wanted to bond with you Evo, I just never thought it would be over broken right hands. But I guess you take what you can :oldsmile:
:oldbiggrin: We're bonded, I bet I have more broken bones than you, I've broken my left arm 4 times, 3 times in 11 months twice in 2 weeks.
Three broken fingers on my right hand, one finger seriously deformed due to an incompetent doctor that couldn't read an x-ray. Long story.

Anyway be careful with those skateboards!

Evo said:
Anyway be careful with those skateboards!

Yeah, screw skateboarding. I'm done with that. I'm going to stick with surfing. I'm the wipeout king, but when you wipeout surfing, your wrist hits the soft sea water, not solid pavement.

Evo said:
I bet I have more broken bones than you,
Not to mention the chainsaw incidents... :rolleyes:

Likes Evo and ProfuselyQuarky
The radiologist said I broke my triquetrum bone. Did you know you had a triquetrum bone? I didn't. Now I do. Every minute ?:)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/carpal-bones/img-20007898

I guess your wrist is made up of 8 small bones, carpal bones. The most commonly injured carpal bone is the scaphoid bone. But I didn't injure my scaphoid bone, I injured my triquetrum bone, so I'm special.

Broken bones suck, I've broken my ankle so many times the bone chips look like shrapnel on x-ray...lol

DiracPool said:
I broke my triquetrum bone
What are they going to do to fix it? Any surgery or just cast the wrist?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e3/8e/f6/e38ef6a991a15ee0400c3c2ada982706.jpg
e38ef6a991a15ee0400c3c2ada982706.jpg

DiracPool said:
Yeah, screw skateboarding. I'm done with that. I'm going to stick with surfing. I'm the wipeout king, but when you wipeout surfing, your wrist hits the soft sea water, not solid pavement.
No! Don’t screw skating! It’s so much fun! :eek:

And, BTW, you do realize that water is not “soft” and if you hit the water the wrong way, it can feel as hard has pavement. Literally about half the students in my class surf (including some teachers) and they have wonderful stories to share :rolleyes:

Evo said:
I bet I have more broken bones than you, I've broken my left arm 4 times, 3 times in 11 months twice in 2 weeks.
Three broken fingers on my right hand, one finger seriously deformed due to an incompetent doctor that couldn't read an x-ray. Long story.
Evo, what do you do? BMX biking?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Evo, what do you do? BMX biking?
No, I walk around the house, a lot of accidents were from doing light gardening.

Bone density can change with gender, age, and dietary factors. Here is a study that simply tabulated by age and gender.

Bad news: women > 60 had a nearly 7-fold increase in fractures:

Among those aged 35-55 years, the fracture rate (persons per 10,000/year) in men was about double the rate in women (65 vs 35). The fracture rate was almost 7 times higher in women over 60 years versus women less than 55 years of age.

I would guess that testosterone mediated behavior in younger men has an effect as well. Anyway:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10525717
Age- and gender-specific rate of fractures in Australia: a population-based study.
1999: Sanders KM1, Seeman E, Ugoni AM, Pasco JA, Martin TJ, Skoric B, Nicholson GC, Kotowicz MA

Bone density:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11063899

berkeman said:
What are they going to do to fix it? Any surgery or just cast the wrist?

Not even a cast, just a wrist brace. They said to wear it for 6 to 8 weeks. They're very short on details. I think it may because I've got Obamacare. I may go in and squat territory in the medical clinic tomorrow, though, and get some answers.

Yeah, ask about range of motion (ROM) implications of the break with and without surgery. It may be no difference (I'm not familiar with that particular bone), but it's worth asking. As long as there are no ROM issue differences, no surgery and no cast can be good things. How are the swelling and pain doing?

berkeman said:
Yeah, ask about range of motion (ROM) implications of the break with and without surgery. It may be no difference (I'm not familiar with that particular bone), but it's worth asking. As long as there are no ROM issue differences, no surgery and no cast can be good things. How are the swelling and pain doing?

I'm really psychologically depressed. The swelling is finally going down after 5 days. But my triquetrum bone still hurts. I can touch it. I don't think these people are sophisticated enough to understand "range of motion." Or at least they're pretending not to be because I got Obamacare.

What you seem to be getting is poor medical care from an overloaded clinic. While I'm not a fan of how our medical system provides and pays for services, I think the the blame for poor care cause lies beyond obamacare. In any case, you are entitled to some decent answers about your wrist. Insist on getting them. Blaming a system you hate will not get the help you need. Period. It may make you feel better - for a short period.

Likes berkeman
jim mcnamara said:
What you seem to be getting is poor medical care from an overloaded clinic. While I'm not a fan of how our medical system provides and pays for services, I think the the blame for poor care cause lies beyond obamacare. In any case, you are entitled to some decent answers about your wrist. Insist on getting them. Blaming a system you hate will not get the help you need. Period. It may make you feel better - for a short period.

Yes I agree. And thanks Berkeman. You're right about the overloaded clinic. It is a walk in urgent care and it was crowded. I had to wait an hour to be seen. It's a good clinic, though, and I trust the integrity of the doctors. Unfortunately, trust doesn't go very far in this world and you have to scratch and claw for any justice. My mom used to say this. It would be nice to go to the doctor and they look at you and take care of the problem. But the reality is that you have to harrass the doctor. The squeaky wheel gets the grease

DiracPool said:
But the reality is that you have to harrass the doctor. The squeaky wheel gets the grease
I wouldn't use the word harass. Just ask good questions. Do your homework ahead of time, and ask pointed questions about the break, ask to talk through the x-rays (displacement, separation, etc.), ask about the prognosis without intervention, etc. Use Google to research this and make a list of questions that you can take in your head to your next meeting with the doc. In my experience, docs appreciate and respond to good questions that are well researched. Kind of like the PF... :smile:

berkeman said:
In my experience, docs appreciate and respond to good questions that are well researched. Kind of like the PF...

In my experience, I've noticed that docs hate smartypants that walk in knowing their research. Lol. So whenever I deal with medics I seem to feel I have to act stupid. But you and Jim are right. I'm going to be proactive on this and not be a weak suck. I mean, it' my right hand for christ's sake

DiracPool said:
I've noticed that docs hate smartypants that walk in knowing their research
There's a difference between a "smartypants" attitude, and a calm inquisitive person who has been reading reputable websites and asking good questions. Good docs are not afraid to answer intelligent questions.
DiracPool said:
whenever I deal with medics I seem to feel I have to act stupid
You don't have to act that way with me. I have no problems answering good questions, and sometimes issues come up that I have not asked about yet. Like, if I have a Pt who has researched Raynaud's disorder and they ask about it when I'm assessing them, that's a pretty helpful clue for me. :smile:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/basics/definition/con-20022916

So when it comes to your hands especially, it's good to do some reading, and ask straightforward questions when you see the doc. Be calm and inquisitive, and make it clear that you are just interested in how this injury and the potential treatments can affect your future mobility.

Likes DiracPool

1. How did your skateboard accident happen?

I was attempting a difficult trick on my skateboard and lost my balance, causing me to fall and hit my head on the pavement.

2. What injuries did you sustain?

I suffered a concussion, a broken wrist, and a few cuts and bruises on my face and arms.

3. Have you fully recovered from the accident?

I am still in the process of recovering, but I am making progress every day. My concussion has healed, and my wrist is almost fully healed, but I still have some minor cuts and bruises.

4. Will you be able to skate again?

Yes, I am planning on returning to skateboarding once I have fully recovered. I will make sure to take extra precautions and wear protective gear to prevent another accident.

5. What advice do you have for other skateboarders to prevent accidents?

Always wear protective gear, such as a helmet, elbow and knee pads. Practice new tricks in a safe environment and make sure to have a spotter or someone to help you in case of an accident. And most importantly, know your limits and don't attempt tricks that are beyond your skill level.