Sketch a graph of the number of candies for a few hours

In summary, the conversation discusses how to sketch a graph of the number of candies in a jar, taking into account the removal of 10% or 20% of the candies each time. The speaker suggests rounding the decimal to get the correct number of remaining candies, and clarifies that the graph will be a line graph.
vampire2008
please help me !

these days i was doing my lab homework , but i am confused one question ,

1. Consider a candy jar, initially with 1000 candies. You walk past it once each hour. Since you don’t want anyone to notice that you’re taking candy, each time you take 10% of the candies remaining in the jar. Sketch a graph of the number of candies for a few hours.
2. How would the graph change if instead of removing 10% of the candies, you removed 20%? Sketch your new graph.

i compute them , then i got the decimal , but i think it is not correct , because the number of candies should be integer , for example , if there are 729 candies remaining in the jar , 729-729*10%= 656.1 , but i think should be 729-720*10% =657, which one is correct ? any hint for that ? how about 20% ?
the other question is if this graph is point or a line ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Eventually you will get a decimal, you have to round. Simply plot that graph. So start with 1,000...900...810...729...657...etc... as you've stated there can only be whole candies in the jar. Graph is a line graph.

thanks , Dje, but i still have a question about that, you mean i should do this 1000-1000*10%=900, 900-900*10%=810, 810-810*10%=729 , 729-729*10%=656.1, round 656.1 should be 656 , then 656-656*10%=590.4 , round is 590 , ... right ?

what about 20%, same above ,right ?

thank you !

vampire2008 said:
thanks , Dje, but i still have a question about that, you mean i should do this 1000-1000*10%=900, 900-900*10%=810, 810-810*10%=729 , 729-729*10%=656.1, round 656.1 should be 656 , then 656-656*10%=590.4 , round is 590 , ... right ?

what about 20%, same above ,right ?

thank you !

Yes that is correct. Simply take the whole part of the number to do your calculations. And indeed the 20% is the same as above

omg... why don't you just use calculate for each point and get over with it?

1. How do I sketch a graph of the number of candies for a few hours?

To sketch a graph of the number of candies for a few hours, you will need to use a graphing tool or software. Start by labeling the x-axis as "Time (in hours)" and the y-axis as "Number of candies." Then, plot the data points for each hour and connect them with a line. Make sure to include a legend and title for your graph.

2. What data do I need to sketch a graph of the number of candies for a few hours?

To sketch a graph of the number of candies for a few hours, you will need to have the data points for the number of candies at each hour. This can be obtained by counting the candies at regular intervals or by using a data set provided to you.

3. How do I interpret the graph of the number of candies for a few hours?

The graph of the number of candies for a few hours shows the relationship between time and the number of candies. The x-axis represents time and the y-axis represents the number of candies. The higher the line on the graph, the more candies there are at that specific time. The slope of the line also indicates the rate at which the number of candies is changing over time.

4. Can I use a different scale for my graph of the number of candies for a few hours?

Yes, you can use a different scale for your graph of the number of candies for a few hours. However, it is important to keep the scale consistent on both the x-axis and y-axis to accurately represent the data. For example, if the scale on the x-axis is in hours, the scale on the y-axis should also be in whole numbers to maintain accuracy.

5. How can I make my graph of the number of candies for a few hours more visually appealing?

To make your graph of the number of candies for a few hours more visually appealing, you can add color, use different shapes for data points, and include a title and legend. You can also adjust the size and font of the text to make it easier to read. Additionally, make sure to label all axes and include units for each axis to make the graph easier to understand.