1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Sketching Complex Numbers in the Complex Plane

1. Oct 26, 2016 #1
    I've just had my first batch of lectures on complex numbers (a very new idea to me). Algebraic operations and the idea behind conjugates are straightforward enough, as these seem to boil down to vectors.

My problem is sketching. I have trouble defining the real and imaginary parts, and I don't understand how some subsets translate into conic sections.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on complex number sketching? (And, specifically, why {z∈C : Rez =|z−2|} is a parabola?)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

What do you mean? Sketching a number like ##z = 2 + 3i## in the complex plane?

4. Oct 26, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Let z = x + iy
    What is Re(z)?

Geometrically |z - 2| represents the distance between an arbitrary complex number and the number 2 (a purely real complex number). How do you calculate the magnitude of a complex number?

5. Oct 26, 2016 #4
    x is Re(z). The magnitude is the square root of the sum of the real part squared, and the imaginary part squared. Does this mean that Re(z) = I x + iy - 2I?

6. Oct 26, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. Now can you simplify the right side by finding the magnitude? Note that x + iy - 2 = x - 2 + iy.

7. Oct 27, 2016 #6
    Oh, I think I see now. Re(z) = x = I x + iy - 2I. This can be simplified to:

x = √(x-2)2 + y2

x2 = (x-2)2 + y2

0 = y2 - 4x +4

x = ¼y2 + 1

Thank you so much. I must not have taken note of the modulus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted