Sketching Field Lines of f(r)r: A Guiding Intuition

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
MrB3nn
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
1. The problem statement, all variables and givenknown data
Let r be a position vector from the origin (r=xi+yj+zk), whose magnitude is r, and let f(r) be a scalar function of r. Sketch the field lines of f(r)r

Homework Equations


1 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex])=0
2 [tex]\nabla[/tex].([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)=0
3 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)=[tex]\nabla[/tex]([tex]\nabla[/tex].v)-[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\^{}2[/tex]v
4 [tex]\nabla[/tex].([tex]\Psi[/tex]v)=[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex].v+v.[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I can't get started on this question. I have no idea how you can draw a sketch of the field lines when the scalar function is unknown. My intuition says you should be able to use some of those identities but I need a push in the right direction. I hope someone can give me that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
More relevant equations (the site was crashing when I tried to put them all into one post):
5 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x([tex]\Psi[/tex]v)=[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\nabla[/tex]xv+([tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex])xv
6 [tex]\nabla[/tex].(v.w)=w.([tex]\nabla[/tex]xv)-v.([tex]\nabla[/tex]xw)
7 [tex]\nabla[/tex]x(vxw)=v([tex]\nabla[/tex].w)-w([tex]\nabla[/tex].v)+(w.[tex]\nabla[/tex])v-(v.[tex]\nabla[/tex])w
 
Ok, I did that using the correct formulae.
Div:
3f(r)+x[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x+y[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]y+z[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z
Curl:
(z[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]y-y[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z)i+(x[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z-z[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x)j+(y[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x-x[tex]\partial[/tex]f(r)/[tex]\partial[/tex]y)k

I really can't see how that helps since I don't know f(r), and f(r) could be positive or negative. I know that the divergence of a vector field is the (flux of an infinitessimal box/unit volume) placed at a point in the field but I don't know how that helps. I don't know what curl is exactly so I don't know how that helps me visualise the field.
 
Yuck!...since f is a function only of r, use spherical coordinates to find the div and curl instead...remember, [tex]\frac{\partial f(r)}{\partial{r}}=f'(r)[/tex]
 
When I switch to spherical polars, r becomes r=r[tex]\widehat{r}[/tex] and grad changes appropriately.
For the div I get:
Div = f(r) + rf'(r)
and for the curl I get zero.
I still can't see what this means. The div could be positive or negative depending on the actual function.
 
The curl is zero, which tells you that the field lines don't 'rotate'...You are correct that Div (f(r)r) can be pos/neg or zero, so why not sketch and label all 3 cases?