Sketching {(x,y)∈R^2:(y-x)(y+x)=0}: Understanding Negative Values in R^2

  • Thread starter Thread starter Name2
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Name2
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I'm asked to sketch the set {(x,y)∈R^2:(y-x)(y+x)=0} on a x-y plane.
By expanding the rule I get that y=x or that y=-x. In the answer to this question the graph shows two perpendicular lines which cross at the origin and continue in both the positive and negative direction.

My question is how, can negative values of x and y belong to the set of R^2? To me it seems that the set should contain only positive numbers. Any explanation would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Name2 said:
I'm asked to sketch the set {(x,y)∈R^2:(y-x)(y+x)=0} on a x-y plane.
By expanding the rule I get that y=x or that y=-x. In the answer to this question the graph shows two perpendicular lines which cross at the origin and continue in both the positive and negative direction.

My question is how, can negative values of x and y belong to the set of R^2? To me it seems that the set should contain only positive numbers. Any explanation would be appreciated.

R^2 isn't really the square of anything, it's a notation for the cartesian product of R and R. It's just all pairs (x,y) where x is in R and y is in R.
 
Last edited: