Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skew Symmetric Determinant Proof

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    Hi all! I was working on some homework for the linear algebra section of my "Math Methods for Physicists" class and was studying skew symmetric matrices. There was a proof I saw on Wikipedia that proves that the determinant of a skew symmetric matrix is zero if the number of rows is an odd number.

[tex]det(A) = det(A^T) = det(-A) = (-1)^n*det(A)[/tex]

This is followed up by, "Hence, det(A) = 0 when n is odd." The problem is that I don't understand the proof too well. I understand that the determinant of a matrix is equal to the determinant of its transpose. That means that the determinant of the negation of a matrix is equal to those as well (-A = A^T). Looks like the (-1)^n*det(A) means that multiplying each row by (-1) will produce the same result as the other derivations so far.

If my logic is sound up to this point, then I get it all, until the big leap to, "Hence, det(A) = 0 when n is odd." Could someone point out either a flaw in my previous logic, or help me to understand how they get to the idea that det(A) must be zero when n is odd? Thank you! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2
    Okay, my math skills must be low tonight, because I think I got it. :P If someone would confirm what I'm thinking, that'd be nice!

In the end we get that det(A) = (-1)^n*det(A). If n is odd, we get det(A) = -det(A), which is only possible when det(A) is zero. Does that sound right?

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    Pretty much sums it up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook