Ski jumper leaving slope horizontally at 25 m/s on 35° incline

  • Thread starter Thread starter flower76
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 19K views
flower76
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I think I have the first part of the problem but am not sure on the second part, I'm probably thinking too hard - the simplest answer is probably the correct one, but I just want to make sure.

Problem:
A ski jumper travels down in a slope and leaves the ski track moving in the horizontal direction with a speed of 25m/s. The landing incline below her falls off with a slope of 35 degrees.
a)Where does the ski jumper land on the incline?
b)How long is the ski jumper airborne?

I worked out the x and y components of the distance fallen, and found an x component of landing 89.3m downrange, which is 109m distance along the landing slope.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
flower76 said:
I think I have the first part of the problem but am not sure on the second part, I'm probably thinking too hard - the simplest answer is probably the correct one, but I just want to make sure.

Problem:
A ski jumper travels down in a slope and leaves the ski track moving in the horizontal direction with a speed of 25m/s. The landing incline below her falls off with a slope of 35 degrees.
a)Where does the ski jumper land on the incline?
b)How long is the ski jumper airborne?

I worked out the x and y components of the distance fallen, and found an x component of landing 89.3m downrange, which is 109m distance along the landing slope.
Use [itex]h = \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/itex] to find the time, where h is the vertical distance from the point of take-off to the point of landing.

Here is an interesting question: what is the shape of the curve that would result in the skier reaching the takeoff point in the minimum time? (Don't work it out - it is rather complicated. Try finding it on the internet).

AM
 
Ski Jump Physics, please check answer

I think I finally figured it out. I found the height using v0sin35 = 14.34m
Then using h=1/2gt^2 I determined that the time airborne was 2.93 seconds.

Could anyone please verify that I have done this correctly?

Thanks
 
flower76 said:
I think I finally figured it out. I found the height using v0sin35 = 14.34m
Then using h=1/2gt^2 I determined that the time airborne was 2.93 seconds.

Could anyone please verify that I have done this correctly?
In my response, I had assumed that you already had worked out the horizontal distance in part a). But I see that you have to find the time first. I get a little longer time than 2.93 sec.:

[tex]\frac{d_y}{d_x} = -tan(35)[/tex]

[tex]d_x = v_xt[/tex] and

[tex]d_y = -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

So: [tex]\frac{d_y}{d_x} = -\frac{gt^2}{2v_xt} = -tan(35)[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{2tan(35)v_x}{g} = 2*.700*25/9.8 = 3.57 sec[/tex]

[tex]d_y = -.5 * 9.8 * (3.57)^2 = -62.45 m.[/tex]

And to check:

[tex]\frac{d_y}{d_x} = -62.45/25*3.57 = -.70 = -tan(35)[/tex]

AM
 
Thanks I think I've got it now, but I'm starting to wonder if I did the first part correctly! I will have to look at it again.
 
I believe that to set up this problem the easiest you would use a rotated coordinate system that lies along the slope instead of one that lies along the horizontal. If you use a non-rotated system like described above then you can't simply just use h=(1/2)gt^2 because you don't know what your fall height is. If you use a rotated system then you can find your x and y accelerations. Then integrate two times to get your x(t) and y(t) parametric functions. Then set y(t)=0 and you will get the time value. Last plug that value into your x(t) to find how far down the slope the skier landed. I did some quick calculations and got the follwoing:
t=5.1s
x=208.8m
 
Just did a check and it turns out i had an error in one of my angles. My results now match Andrews with a time of 3.57s. I got my x value to be 109m.
 
i got this problem, and i can't solve too. O saw the solution but i forgot :X