1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Skills to learn before pursuing degree in mechanical engineering

1. Jul 30, 2013 #1
    I am going to be entering college as a freshman this fall and planning on majoring in mechanical engineering, but I have plenty of free time until then (~two months) and want to acquire some skills that are essential (or just useful) to the field. I'm interesting in things that would be to my advantage to get a head start on and be familiar with before delving into the courses, such as useful programming languages, computer software, etc.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2013 #2
    Try and learn about how actual bits of equipment that many actual mechanical engineers work with as part of their jobs, e.g. valves, pumps, compressors, gearboxes etc.

4. Jul 30, 2013 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

I would say learn how to use a CAD application (doesn't matter which one) and/or learn a programming language (doesn't matter which one).

5. Jul 31, 2013 #4
    Take a look at the courses that you will be taking and study based off of those.

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5
    Hey there!

I just finished up my undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering. My recommendations are:

MATLAB
    CAD (Solidworks, Solid Edge (free to download))

Though maybe not as feasible, hands on time with fabrication tools such as a drill press, manual mill, lathe, etc. is great experience not only for any hands on clubs or teams that you may join, but are great for the resume!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook