1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A bachleor's degree in mechanical engineering and a masters in idustri

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    I want to become an Industrial Engineer,but for some reason i have to attend a specific college that only offers a masters degree in Industrial. What I want to know if it is a smart move to major in Mechanical engineer with a minor in Business Administration and then get a masters in Industrial. What are the advantages of doing so, and would the salary differ? OR should i just be satisfied with a Mechanical engineering degree?

note:mechanical engineering is my second choice.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2
    I see three questions, so I will give you my best shot at answering them.
    1. Major in ME with a minor in Business
      If your goal is a masters in Industrial Engineering, this isn't an unreasonable path. IE has a bigger business focus than many other kinds of engineering. Have you looked at the pre-reqs for the IE program to be certain this will meet them?
    2. Advantages of #1 and salary
      IF you want to do what IEs traditionally do, which is model processes, and try to lean them out, then you will benefit from the technical knowledge of the ME degree and the linear modeling typical of an IE program. Your question on salary is hard to answer, because you didn't specify what you are comparing against. So I will just say, specific degrees or combinations of degrees do not predict salary well. The spread is large. In general, a job offer to someone with a Masters will be higher than someone with only a bachelors, all else equal. Elsewise I'm not sure what you mean here.
    3. B.S.M.E. only
      ME is a common and broad field. Work is available in this field, but of course I make no promises. If you want to be an IE, why don't you just pursue that degree and see what happens?

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    I guess ill pursue a masters degree in IE since it is more related to business and as you said it may versatile my career options.Thanks for your response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook