Bachelors degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a career in aerospace engineering, but the university they want to attend does not offer it as a major. They are debating whether to first obtain a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from their desired university and then pursue a master's degree in aerospace engineering from a different university, or to switch to a university that offers a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering. The individual mentions that their mother works at the desired university and tuition would be free. It is suggested that they take the mechanical engineering route due to its overlap with aerospace engineering and the potential for different career opportunities.
ricandre69
I want to be an aerospace engineer, but the university i want to go to doesn't offer it as a major (or master for that matter). So i was wondering if it would be best to first get a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering then get a master's degree in aerospace engineering (in another university) or ditch the university i want to go, and go to one that gives a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineeeing (then getting a master's degree).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you want to go to a university that doesn't have the major you want?

Because my mom works at this University chain, and it would be free for her

ricandre69 said:
I want to be an aerospace engineer, but the university i want to go to doesn't offer it as a major (or master for that matter). So i was wondering if it would be best to first get a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering then get a master's degree in aerospace engineering (in another university) or ditch the university i want to go, and go to one that gives a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineeeing (then getting a master's degree).

Take the mechanical engineering degree because it overlaps a lot with aerospace engineering and it will leave you with options to move to different fields if you wanted to. Also you mentioned it would be free. Seems like a no brainer since you would have a very employable degree for free all the while still being able to still go to graduate school later for aerospace.

Both mechanical and aerospace engineering are highly technical and specialized fields, so it is important to carefully consider your options before making a decision. While it may be tempting to switch universities in order to pursue a bachelor's degree specifically in aerospace engineering, it is worth noting that many aerospace engineering programs also accept students with a mechanical engineering background.

In fact, having a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering can provide a strong foundation for your future studies in aerospace engineering. Many of the core principles and skills learned in mechanical engineering, such as mechanics, materials, and design, are also applicable to aerospace engineering. Additionally, a master's degree in aerospace engineering can provide a deeper understanding and specialization in this field.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal goals and the specific program offerings at each university. If the university you want to attend has a strong mechanical engineering program and offers opportunities for specialization in aerospace engineering, it may be more beneficial to stay and pursue a master's degree in aerospace engineering there. However, if you feel that a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering is necessary for your career goals, it may be worth considering other universities that offer this program. It is also worth reaching out to the admissions office or program advisors at your desired university to discuss your options and see if there are any opportunities for you to pursue your interests in aerospace engineering within their mechanical engineering program.

1. What is the difference between a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering and aerospace engineering?

A bachelors degree in mechanical engineering focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as engines, tools, and machines. Aerospace engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design and development of aircraft, spacecraft, and their components. While both fields involve the use of physics and mathematics, aerospace engineering also incorporates principles from other disciplines such as aerodynamics, materials science, and propulsion.

2. What are the career options with a bachelors degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Graduates with a bachelors degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering have a wide range of career options in industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, defense, and energy. They can work as design engineers, research and development engineers, project managers, quality control engineers, or technical sales representatives, among others.

3. Is it necessary to have a bachelors degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering to work in these fields?

While a bachelors degree is not a requirement for all positions in these fields, it is highly recommended and often preferred by employers. A degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering provides a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and skills needed for these industries, making graduates more competitive in the job market.

4. What skills are important for success in a bachelors degree program in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Strong skills in mathematics, physics, and problem-solving are essential for success in a bachelors degree program in mechanical or aerospace engineering. Additionally, students should have a strong interest in technology, be detail-oriented, and possess good communication and teamwork skills.

5. Can I pursue a masters degree in a different engineering discipline with a bachelors degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a masters degree in a different engineering discipline after completing a bachelors degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering. However, some additional coursework may be required to fulfill the prerequisites for the masters program. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in to determine if any additional coursework is needed.