Skype won't update because it can't close applications

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
The automatic update for Skype will not proceed because supposedly programs are running that it needs shut, but there are no programs listed as running in Task Manager.
Now and then I get the automatic update question "Do you want [Skype] to make changes on your computer"; clicking "yes" gives me something like (this is not an exact quote" "Skype cannot proceed because it cannot close all applications relevant for it setup" with the options : retry, abort, or ignore. I looked in Task Manager "Control-Alt-Delete", and it said that no programs were running. Retry doesn't change anything. Once I tried "ignore", and the computer crashed. So since then I press "abort". Within a day or so, the automatic update reappears. Advice? Please note that I am not a programmer. Should I discard and reload Skype, or what? Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have problems like this often. The only ways I know to completely shut down everything is to restart the PC.

Likes nomadreid
If possible, use the web version of Skype. That will get rid of update issues altogether.

Likes jim mcnamara and nomadreid
Skype used to be such a pleasant program........

Likes nomadreid
I had a work computer that would do this a lot. From what I could tell (in my case), it was likely the antivirus software having a look at files and not letting go. The only solution for me was to reboot and immediately do whatever I needed to do before the software started locking on to files. My antivirus expecially loved to lock on to large zipfiles when I was trying to move or copy them and casually gaze at them for hours. :rolleyes:

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes FactChecker, russ_watters, nomadreid and 1 other person
Thanks for the input, Factchecker, Wrichik Basu, hutchphd, annd Borg. Shutting down or restarting the computer doesn't help: I just get the same messages. The web version of Skype sounds promising -- unless anyone knows any disadvantage to Skype for Web as opposed to the desktop version I presently use (for Windows 10), I will try it. I don't know how I would check to see if it's my antivirus (free version of Avast) interfering: this Skype message pops up right after I restart the computer.

• Sad
Likes FactChecker
Update: Whatever was the cause, the problem disappeared after Skype was down for about 25 minutes day before yesterday (not just on my computer; on a friend's computer as well), it was down for the same interval of time). I suspect (but cannot prove) that this indicates that it was a glitch on Skype's part (perhaps for my area of the world), not on my computer. It went down just as I was starting to sign in for the Skype for Web (but had the desktop version open, as it is set to open upon startup), but I cannot imagine there to be any causal connection there, since I had not finished the sign-in for the Skype for Web. Coincidences happen. Thanks again for all those who gave input.

Likes hutchphd, Wrichik Basu, Borg and 1 other person

1. Why won't Skype update if it can't close applications?

Skype needs to close all of its applications in order to update because it requires exclusive access to the system files during the update process. If other applications are running, it may cause conflicts and errors during the update, so Skype needs to ensure that it has full control of the system before updating.

2. What should I do if Skype won't close any applications?

If Skype is unable to close any applications, it could be due to a technical issue or a bug in the software. In this case, you can try restarting your computer and then attempting to update Skype again. If the issue persists, you may need to contact Skype's customer support for further assistance.

3. Can I manually close the applications that Skype can't close?

It is not recommended to manually close the applications that Skype can't close, as this may cause unexpected errors and conflicts. It is best to let Skype handle the closing of applications during the update process to ensure a smooth and successful update.

4. Will I lose any data if Skype closes applications during the update?

No, Skype only closes applications that are necessary for the update process and will not affect any other data on your computer. However, it is always a good practice to save any important work before initiating an update, just in case.

5. Is there a way to prevent Skype from closing applications during updates?

In order to ensure a successful update, it is necessary for Skype to close any running applications. However, you can schedule updates for a time when you are not using your computer, such as overnight, to minimize any inconvenience. Additionally, you can also turn off automatic updates and manually update Skype when it is convenient for you.