Slater determinants in Configuration Interaction

In summary, when creating single or doubly excited slater determinants in CI, you use the HF equations to get a complete set of orbitals and replace one or more of the lowest energy orbitals in the HF Slater determinant with excited orbitals of higher energy. This creates additional Slater determinants for CI.
saleheen
How does one create the single or doubly excited slater determinants in CI? What I mean is using HF, when I get the MO's, I can create the HF slater determinant which runs over electrons in rows and orbitals in columns. What is the form of single or doubly excited slater determinants? Sorry if I'm making the question unclear.

Physics news on Phys.org
In HF, you construct the single Slater determinant from the n orbitals of lowest energy. However, the HF equations, yield an infinite number of orbitals which form a complete set. If you replace one or more of the n orbitals in the HF Slater determinant by one or several of these excited orbitals with higher energy, you get the additional Slater determinants for CI.

1. What is a Slater determinant in Configuration Interaction?

A Slater determinant is a mathematical expression that describes the wavefunction of a system of electrons in quantum mechanics. It is used in Configuration Interaction (CI) calculations to account for the electron correlation effects in a system.

2. How is a Slater determinant constructed?

A Slater determinant is constructed by taking the product of one-electron wavefunctions, each representing the spatial and spin coordinates of an electron. These wavefunctions are called spin orbitals and are typically represented by the letters Φ, Ψ, or ϕ.

3. What is the significance of Slater determinants in CI calculations?

In CI calculations, Slater determinants are used to represent the possible electronic configurations of a system. They are then combined with a linear combination of these configurations to obtain a more accurate wavefunction for the system.

4. How are Slater determinants related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. Slater determinants take this principle into account by ensuring that each electron in the system has a unique set of spatial and spin coordinates.

5. Are Slater determinants used in other areas of quantum mechanics?

Yes, Slater determinants are commonly used in other areas of quantum mechanics, such as Hartree-Fock theory and Density Functional Theory, to describe the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. They are also used in many-body physics to describe the behavior of interacting particles.