1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sled pulled up incline at an angle with friction

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A child pulls a 3.6 kg sled at 25 degrees to a slope that is 15 degrees to the horizontal, as in the figure. The sled moves at a constant velocity when the tension is 16 N. What is the acceleration of the sled if the rope is released?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma, f=[itex]\mu[/itex]N

3. The attempt at a solution

Constant velocity means that friction + the component from Fg shall equal FTx (tension component parallell to plane) that is FTx = f + Fx

Where FTx=cos(25)*FT=14.5 N and Fx=3.6*9.8=9.13 N

Now I want [itex]\mu[/itex] so that I can calculate f. And we know that N=cos(15)*mg+T*sin(25)=40.84 N

If we go back to the start, FTx=[itex]\mu[/itex]N+Fx so [itex]\mu[/itex]= [itex]\frac{ (FTx-Fx) }{N}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{14.5-9.13}{40.84}[/itex] = 0.131

When we release the sled N will reduce to N=mg*cos(15)=34.08 and so f=0.131*34.08=4.46 N

Fres=Fx-f=9.13-4.46=4.66 N

And the acceleration is a=[itex]\frac{F}{m}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4.66}{3.6}[/itex]=1.3 m/s^2

But apparently this is not correct. Could someone please tell me what I've missed, this question has been very frustrating for me :(

Also, negative signs tend to mess upp my Latex, I apologize.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2
    Here's the figure btw.

Attached Files:

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Anyone?
    According to the answer sheet the correct answer should be 0.67 m/s^2 but i'm starting to wonder whether that's true or not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook