How Much Force Must a Tractor Exert to Pull a Sled Up a Hill with Friction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Richard1864
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
A tractor pulls a 5000kg asked up a hill at a constant velocity. If the hill had a constant grade of 30° with respect to the horizontal and there is a 10,000 N frictional force between the sled and the ground, what is the minimum force the tractor must exert on the sled?

I think I'm supposed to tilt the axis. The Friction is already given so how do I find the force required?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a freebody diagram, resolving gravity along a set of coordinate axis parallel and perpendicular the the slope. This will give you the the force along the slope due to gravity, which needs to be counteracted by friction.