Sleep, How little is too little

• Medical
  • Thread starter rollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of sleep needed to stay alive and healthy. The speaker typically sleeps 4-6 hours and feels fine, but their cousin believes this may not be enough for their health. The speaker attributes their lack of sleep to their job as a baliff in Scotland. The other person advises that the key is how the speaker feels, but suggests visiting a doctor if any concerns arise.
rollcast
I was just wondering how much sleep you actually need to stay alive and healthy.

I sleep very little, 6 hours on a good and normally more like 4 hours. The thing is however I feel totally fine and no matter what I do I can't sleep any more, I was talking to my cousin about this and he says that that of sleep is not enough and could be bad for my health?

The thing that I find makes me sleep so little is the fact that I only go to bed when I'm tired think working as a baliff for a land owner in scotland over the summer at uni did this to me.

Thanks
Richard

Ps This is not a medical diagnosis it just me wanting to know whether sleeping when you are tired is a bad idea

Biology news on Phys.org
The amount of sleep a person needs can vary widely. You are within the normal range. The key is how you feel. if it ever starts to bother you mentally or physically or if you want to be certain you do not have any current health issues, please visit your doctor. Always better to be safe rather than sorry.

1. What is the recommended amount of sleep for adults?

The recommended amount of sleep for adults is 7-9 hours per night. However, this can vary slightly from person to person and some may require slightly more or less sleep.

2. Can you catch up on missed sleep?

Yes, it is possible to catch up on missed sleep. However, it is not recommended to make it a regular habit as it can disrupt your body's natural sleep-wake cycle.

3. How does lack of sleep affect our health?

Lack of sleep can have negative effects on our physical and mental health. It can lead to increased risk of chronic diseases, decreased immune system function, and impaired cognitive function.

4. Is it harmful to consistently get less than 7 hours of sleep?

Consistently getting less than 7 hours of sleep can have negative effects on our health. It can lead to increased risk of chronic diseases, decreased immune system function, and impaired cognitive function.

5. Can too much sleep be harmful?

Yes, getting too much sleep can also have negative effects on our health. It can lead to increased risk of chronic diseases, weight gain, and impaired cognitive function. It's important to find a balance and aim for the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep per night.