1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Slope-intercept, (determine, evaluate, domain) function, diff. quotient

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    Domain Functions:

f(x) = 4sq.root(1-x2), the 4 is on the outside

f(s) = sq.root(s -1)/s-4

f(x) = x-4/sq.root x

I have absolutely no clue how to go about doing any of these, I take notes but I cannot piece it together; I have never felt so helpless at anything. This isn't homework I just want to know how to be able to do slope-intercept, determine a function, evaluate it, domain functions and difference quotients becaue I have a quiz on it tomorrow at 8:30 and I need to know how to at least start to solve them.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You asked for the domains of these functions according to what you expressed in pure text form:

f(x) = 4[tex]\sqrt{1-2x}[/tex]

f(x) = [tex]\frac{\sqrt{s - 1}}{s}[/tex] - 4

f(x) = x -[tex]\frac{4}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

Are those the functions you meant?

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3
    Yeah, if you could just like direct to a website which explains these as a lesson or something, that would be great.

5. Feb 6, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "domain" of a function, if nothing but the formula is given, is all values of x for which the formula can be evaluated. For most functions the only problems are:
    1) You can't divide by 0
    2) You can't take the square root of a negative number.

Look at the last one:
    [tex]f(x)= x- \frac{4}{\sqrt{x}}[/tex]
    That first x is no problem- you could replace it with any number. But the other x is inside a square root- it can't be negative. Also it is in the denominator: [itex]\sqrt{0}[/itex] certainly exists, it is 0. But then you would be dividing by 0 so x also cannot be 0. In stating what the domain is you would reverse that: x cannot be negative or 0 so x can be any positive number. The domain is the set of all positive real numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook