Small back hole merging more massive body

• I
  • Thread starter Gerinski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Hole
In summary, when a small black hole of a few solar masses collides with a much more massive star of 100 solar masses, the resulting object will be a black hole residing inside the star. The black hole will slowly feed on the star, eventually consuming it and producing a very massive black hole with the sum of their masses. This process is expected to happen in a matter of seconds, not millions of years.
Gerinski
Hi. Let's say we have a black hole of limited mass, say a few solar masses, and it encounters a much more massive object which is not collapsed into a black hole, say a very massive star, in principle it seems that some giant stars have been detected with masses over 100 solar masses.

So let's imagine that the small black hole meets such a very massive star, and that their combined mass will not produce a black hole of the sum of their masses.

What would happen if both bodies collide and merge? will the small back hole "return" to a non-black hole mass merging with the massive star? will it remain as a black hole residing into the large star and slowly feed on it, eventually eating up the very massive star and producing a very massive black hole with the sum of both their masses? will they remain as separate entities, the small black hole and the large star living together next to each other?

Tx

Physics news on Phys.org
Gerinski said:
will it remain as a black hole residing into the large star and slowly feed on it, eventually eating up the very massive star and producing a very massive black hole with the sum of both their masses?
This.
If it happens in the very early universe, it leads to a quasi-star.

Gerinski said:
will it remain as a black hole residing into the large star and slowly feed on it, eventually eating up the very massive star and producing a very massive black hole with the sum of both their masses?

I agree with mfb that this is what will happen. The only thing I would add is to remove the word "slowly". Some of the mass of the star will be ejected in the form of jets and some will be incorporated into the black hole, but I believe that the time scale for all of this to happen is on the order of seconds.

Not even the initial merging happens in seconds. The quasistar can live for (up to) millions of years, radiation pressure cancels gravitational pressure.

mfb said:
Not even the initial merging happens in seconds. The quasistar can live for (up to) millions of years, radiation pressure cancels gravitational pressure.

The OP asked what happens when a black hole of a few solar masses collides with a massive star of 100 solar masses. You think the resultant object can last for millions of years? I doubt this. I will look for simulations of this type of event.

My answer was based on simulations like this one. This is a simulation of what happens when the core of a massive star (order 100 solar masses) collapses to form a black hole of a few solar masses. This results in a few solar mass black hole inside of a ~100 solar mass star, which is similar to the situation the OP asked about. Look at the resulting simulation. Part of the surrounding star is ejected, and part falls into the growing black hole, and the whole process takes less than 1 second. I think the collision of a few solar mass black hole with a ~100 solar mass star would have a similar time scale. How could it possibly last for millions of years?

phyzguy said:
This is a simulation of what happens when the core of a massive star (order 100 solar masses) collapses to form a black hole of a few solar masses.
That is a completely different process, the collapse happens while no black hole exists, and without anything else that would stop the collapse. The black hole is the result of the collapse, not vice versa.

1. How do small black holes merge with more massive bodies?

Small black holes can merge with more massive bodies through a process called gravitational wave emission. As the two objects get closer, they begin to orbit around each other and release gravitational waves, which carry energy away from the system. This causes the black holes to lose orbital energy and eventually merge together.

2. What happens when a small black hole merges with a more massive body?

When a small black hole merges with a more massive body, the resulting object is a larger black hole with the combined mass of the two objects. This process also releases a huge amount of energy in the form of gravitational waves, which can be detected by instruments on Earth.

3. How are small black hole mergers detected?

Small black hole mergers are detected through the ripples in space-time known as gravitational waves. These waves are detected by sensitive instruments such as the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) and the Virgo interferometer.

4. Can small black hole mergers have any impact on Earth?

No, small black hole mergers do not have any direct impact on Earth. Gravitational waves are very weak by the time they reach Earth, and they do not pose any threat to our planet. However, studying these mergers can provide valuable insights into the nature of gravity and the universe.

5. Are there any other observable effects of small black hole mergers?

Aside from the detection of gravitational waves, small black hole mergers can also produce bright flashes of light known as gamma-ray bursts. These bursts are thought to occur when the powerful jets of energy released during the merger interact with surrounding matter. However, not all mergers produce gamma-ray bursts, and their occurrence is still not fully understood.