Small mass (m) resting on a larger slanted mass (M)

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum horizontal force F needed to start a small object with mass m sliding up a ramp with mass M and a coefficient of static friction μ. Two equations are needed to solve the problem: one relating to the horizontal components of forces and the other to the vertical components. The acceleration of the system is due to the horizontal force F, but it is not equal to the acceleration of the small mass m sliding up the ramp. The correct approach would be to set up a coordinate system with horizontal and vertical axes and write equations for the horizontal and vertical components of the forces.
TroyP

Homework Statement

A small object with mass m sits on a ramp with mass M which itself sits on the ground (ignore friction between the ramp and the ground).
Given the coefficient of static friction μ , compute the minimum horizontal force F that when pushing on M will just barely start the small object m sliding up the ramp.
GIANCOLI.ch05.p033.jpg

Homework Equations

F = ma
Ffriction = μmgcos(Θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started the problem by setting up two different force formulas:
1) Fpush = (M+m)a
2) -mgsin(Θ) - μmgcos(Θ) = ma
*This is where I went wrong and cannot solve the prblem. The acceleration of the system as a whole is due to Fpush, but this acceleration is not equal to the system of mass m itself sliding up the ramp. I do not know how to solve/ approach a problem with this complexity.

I then solved for a in both and set them equal to each other:

Fpush/(M+m) = -mgsin(Θ) - μmgcos(Θ)/m

Finally I solved for Fpush:

Fpush = (-mgsin(Θ) - μmgcos(Θ))(M+m)/m

But this is not correct. Any guidance in this problem would be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot assume the normal force is mg cos(θ). Let it be N and see what you get.
You can get another equation by considering vertical components of forces.

haruspex said:
You cannot assume the normal force is mg cos(θ). Let it be N and see what you get.
For this problem, should we ignore the mass M of the ramp?

haruspex said:
I don't think I understand what your'e saying fully. Do you mean setting up a coordinate system with the x-axis parallel to the ramp?

kent davidge said:
For this problem, should we ignore the mass M of the ramp?
I wouldn't think so. The push Force is acting on the large mass M and the small mass m.

All you need to do here. Is to ensure that the net force on object m is just in the same direction and magnitude as force F
How can you achieve that? Notice Haruspex said about not calculating N as mg cos because it is not.
Make a diagram and think about it for a bit

TroyP said:
I don't think I understand what your'e saying fully. Do you mean setting up a coordinate system with the x-axis parallel to the ramp?
No. Your equations 1) and 2) both relate to horizontal components of forces. You can also consider the vertical components of the forces on m. What equation can you write for those?

Edit: I accidentally wrote vertical twice instead of horizontal, then vertical.

Last edited:
The problem asks the force when the small object is in rest with respect to the slope, but applying a bit bigger force, it starts sliding up.
So the acceleration is the same both for the small object and the wedge, horizontal, of magnitude a=F/(M+m).
As the acceleration is horizontal, choose a coordinate system with horizontal and vertical axes. Make the FBD for the small mass, and write the equations for the horizontal and vertical components of the forces.

What about my solution, F = mg(μ - tgθ)?

kent davidge said:
Doesn't look right. What is t? Where is M?

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
It is wrong, You equated a horizontal force with a force along a steady slope, but the slope is accelerating and the small mass is in rest with respect to it. And you can compare only parallel force components.

Likes kent davidge

What is a small mass resting on a larger slanted mass?

A small mass resting on a larger slanted mass refers to a physical situation where a smaller object is placed on top of a larger object that is angled or slanted. This can occur in a variety of scenarios, from a small block on a tilted ramp to a person standing on a sloped surface.

How does the angle of the larger mass affect the small mass?

The angle of the larger mass can have a significant impact on the small mass. If the larger mass is at a steeper angle, the force of gravity acting on the small mass will be greater, causing it to slide or accelerate down the slope. On the other hand, if the larger mass is at a shallower angle, the small mass may not move at all due to the force of friction.

What factors determine the stability of a small mass on a larger slanted mass?

The stability of a small mass on a larger slanted mass is influenced by several factors. These include the angle of the larger mass, the weight of the two objects, the surface texture and friction between the objects, and any external forces acting on the system. Generally, a lower angle, higher weight, and greater friction will make the system more stable.

How can the equilibrium of a small mass and larger slanted mass be calculated?

To calculate the equilibrium of a small mass and larger slanted mass, you can use the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion. From there, you can calculate the forces acting on the objects, including the force of gravity, normal force, and friction. By setting these forces equal to each other and solving for the unknown variables, you can determine the equilibrium position of the small mass on the larger mass.

What practical applications does the concept of a small mass on a larger slanted mass have?

The concept of a small mass on a larger slanted mass has many practical applications, particularly in engineering and physics. For example, understanding the equilibrium of objects on inclined planes is crucial in designing and building structures such as ramps, bridges, and roller coasters. It also has applications in sports, such as in skiing and skateboarding, where the angle of a surface can affect the movement and stability of the object on top.