Small sphere in a circular surface

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small sphere of radius R held against the inner surface of a smooth spherical shell of radius 6R. The masses of the shell and small sphere are 4m and m respectively, and the arrangement is placed on a smooth horizontal table. When the small sphere is released, the x-coordinate of the center of the shell is found to be zero, but the correct answer is 2R. After some discussion, the participants conclude that the assumption of no external forces along the x-axis is necessary in order to solve the problem. Making this assumption, the problem becomes a straightforward center of gravity problem, with the answer being L = 2R.
Neolight

Homework Statement

A small sphere of radius R held against the inner surface of a smooth spherical shell of radius 6R as shown in figure.

IMG_20170817_193815.jpg

The masses of the shell and small sphere are 4m and m respectively. This arrangement is placed on a smooth horizontal table. The small sphere is now released. The x-coordinate of the center of the shell when the smaller sphere reaches the other extreme position is

Homework Equations

since the net force on x- axis is zero,

Xcom for initial condition = Xcom for final condition

The Attempt at a Solution

1. initial condition
when the small sphere is at rest

the distance X1 for small sphere from origin is = 6R-R= 5R
the distance X2 for shell from origin is = 0 , since the y-axis lies on the line of symmetry of the shell.

2. Final condition
when the small sphere reached the other extreme position
by this time i considered a small displacement L along -ve x-axis for the shell

( but i personally doubt that there should be any displacement because the only forces i see are the weight (mg) always directed downwards i.e. y-axis and the normal between the two surfaces of the small sphere and the shell , this normal forces will cancel out each other (Newton's third law) so there will be no forces acting along the X-axis . please correct me if I'm wrong)

so
the distance Z1 for small sphere from origin is = 5R + L
the distance Z2 for shell from origin is= L

Xcom initial = Xcom final

4m X 0 + m X 5R = 4m X L + m(5R+L)

please note that i haven't included the total mass since they will just cancel out each other

⇒ 5mR= 4mL + 5mR + mL
0= 4mL+mL
0= 5mL
L=0

so there is no displacement of the center of the shell along the x-axis so the X-coordinate is still zero

but somehow the anwser is 2R

i don't know what I'm doing wrong please help , is my concept wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neolight said:
( but i personally doubt that there should be any displacement because the only forces i see are the weight (mg) always directed downwards i.e. y-axis and the normal between the two surfaces of the small sphere and the shell , this normal forces will cancel out each other (Newton's third law) so there will be no forces acting along the X-axis . please correct me if I'm wrong)
If there are no other forces, how does the small sphere follow the inside of the shell?

Neolight said:
the distance Z1 for small sphere from origin is = 5R + L
Be careful with the signs.

So should it be 5R- L??

Because it is the -ve x-axis?

DrClaude said:
If there are no other forces, how does the small sphere follow the inside of the shell?Be careful with the signs.
I took -ve signs

-5R -L

So
5mR = -4mL -5mR -mL
10mR= -5mL
L= 2R

Hahah I'm such an idiot
Thanks for your help

Neolight said:
I took -ve signs

-5R -L

So
5mR = -4mL -5mR -mL
10mR= -5mL
L= 2R

Hahah I'm such an idiot
Thanks for your help
Maybe a bit easier to find the common mass centre (the half-way arrangement, with the ball at the bottom) : (6R-R)m/(4m+m) and double it.

You have noted that there are zero net forces along x. More precisely, there is no net external force along the x-axis for the system comprising the shell and the ball.

That being the case, what can you infer about the c.g. of the system? From this you can readily determine the x displacement of the center of the shell, which is decidedly non-zero!
EDIT: looks like I got scooped.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
It is a necessary assumption that the outer ring is stationary when the ball reaches the same vertical height on the left side of the ring, and that the ball actually reaches this full height. This is the result of energy conservation, but to prove this might be quite difficult=perhaps you can make a good argument to prove it... Once you make this assumption, it is a straightforward center of gravity problem.

Charles Link said:
It is a necessary assumption that the outer ring is stationary when the ball reaches the same vertical height on the left side of the ring, and that the ball actually reaches this full height. This is the result of energy conservation, but to prove this might be quite difficult=perhaps you can make a good argument to prove it... Once you make this assumption, it is a straightforward center of gravity problem.
Even if there was friction so the sphere would not reach the starting height, the shell would stop rotating at the high point of the sphere; the c.g is always at the same position along the x-axis so if the sphere stops moving, so does the shell. Of course, the answer would indeed be L < 2R.

1. What is a small sphere in a circular surface?

A small sphere in a circular surface refers to a spherical object that is placed or contained within a circular surface or boundary. It can also refer to a small spherical particle or molecule that is situated on a larger, circular surface.

2. How is the volume of a small sphere in a circular surface calculated?

The volume of a small sphere in a circular surface can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere. This formula assumes that the sphere is perfectly round and that the circular surface is a flat, two-dimensional shape.

3. What is the relationship between the diameter of the sphere and the circumference of the circular surface?

The diameter of the sphere is equal to the circumference of the circular surface. This can be seen by imagining the sphere being flattened to fit on the circular surface, which would result in the diameter of the sphere being equal to the circumference of the circle.

4. How does the presence of a small sphere in a circular surface affect the surface tension?

The presence of a small sphere in a circular surface can affect the surface tension by creating surface tension gradients around the sphere. These gradients can cause the surface tension to be higher or lower in certain areas, depending on the properties of the sphere and the circular surface.

5. What are some examples of small spheres in circular surfaces in everyday life?

Some examples of small spheres in circular surfaces in everyday life include marbles in a bowl, bubbles on the surface of a glass of water, and oil droplets on the surface of a puddle. Other examples can include particles on the surface of a liquid, such as dust or pollen, and small objects on the surface of a curved surface, such as a ball on a hill.