Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Smelling of onions and other stuff

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    Since giving up smoking my sense of smell has become ultra sensitive. Just one thing I notice is that my clothes pick up smells from the environments I'm in and in particular the smells of certain types of food being cooked. Being the main cook in my house I find it quite irritating to walk around smelling of things like sausages and chips or chicken jalfrezi.
    I don't want to change clothes every time I cook so is there any way I can stop absorbing these smells? Yes, I do have the extractor fan on when I cook and no, I will not cook in the buff.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wear the breaking bad costume and your clothes won't pick up any cooking smells :biggrin:

breaking-bad-costume.png

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to worry Dadface. You've smelled like this, to others, during your entire smoking life. I've "been there, done that". The next thing you'll notice is, some of these rediscovered smells become very pleasant leading to new food/taste cravings you've never had before.

The first thing I started craving WAS onions. Still today, after being tobacco free for many years, I can't get enough of them.

5. Nov 18, 2012 #4
    Thank you Monique. I would look quite dapper in that white suit.
    You're right digoff. Also, I find that some smells become unpleasant.Cigarette smoke is one of the worst.

6. Nov 18, 2012 #5
    I quit about 5 years ago after 10+ years of smoking. The food/smell experience has been incredible ever since. I could not and still can not believe what I was missing.

Though, I still absolutely love the smell of some one lighting up a cigarette. I don't know why...but I always have, even since I was little and had no idea what it was.

(BTW: Not sure how long you have been nicotine-free, but congratulations and keep it up!!! It is worth the struggle!)

7. Nov 18, 2012 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bold: Now, why do so many smokers have trouble believing that? They get all indignant when asked to take their stinky habit outside!

Congrats, Dadface. I smoked as a teenager, and now I'm approaching 50 and still have cravings - nothing terrible, but it surprises me after all this time.

8. Nov 18, 2012 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I smoked for 30 years and quit ~15 years ago, and in my opinion, you're never completely nicotine-free. Even though cigarette smoke is unpleasant for me, as Dadface has found, it would only take a couple puffs to be completely hooked again.

9. Nov 18, 2012 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Smoker noses don't smell the smoke the same as non-smoker noses,1 not to mention the addiction created denial.1

1 dlgoff experiences - Not peer reviewed

10. Nov 19, 2012 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sure you would! :smile: But seriously, I don't think you need to worry about cooking smells.. unless you deep-frying on a regular basis. An option would be to open the windows, or wear a kitchen apron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook