So how do you know when a chemical is an acid or not? I know that an

  • Thread starter Thread starter Titandwedebil
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid Chemical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Titandwedebil
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
So how do you know when a chemical is an acid or not? I know that an acid is a compound that, when dissolved, yields H atoms, but does that mean than any compound with H in it is (or has the potential to be) an acid?

For example:

HNO2, I put down that it was Hydrogen Nitrite, but the actual answer is Nitrous acid. How do I know whether or not to name it as an acid?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org


Calling HNO2 as hydrogen nitrite is not wrong (likewise, we can call HCl as hydrogen chloride). I suppose it is only when the substance, that has the description of an acid, is in water (aqueous) do we call it an acid.

I suppose you would just have to remember which are acids and which aren't. Usually, whatever inorganic compound has a hydrogen atom, or compounds with SO3H and COOH are acids. Can't remember others. =P
 


There are several different definitions of acids. Brønsted being one guy who defined an acid as a substance that loses/gives/donates H+ (proton donor). Lewis is another one, and defines acid as a substance that is an electron-pair acceptor.

There probably are other definitions as well. And let's not forget the organic functional group
-COOH.
 


I think the lewis definition is the best since the other definitions can be explained by the accepting of electrons