Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So how do you know when a chemical is an acid or not? I know that an

1. Aug 28, 2011 #1
    So how do you know when a chemical is an acid or not? I know that an acid is a compound that, when dissolved, yields H atoms, but does that mean than any compound with H in it is (or has the potential to be) an acid?

For example:

HNO2, I put down that it was Hydrogen Nitrite, but the actual answer is Nitrous acid. How do I know whether or not to name it as an acid?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2011 #2
    Re: Acids?

Calling HNO2 as hydrogen nitrite is not wrong (likewise, we can call HCl as hydrogen chloride). I suppose it is only when the substance, that has the description of an acid, is in water (aqueous) do we call it an acid.

I suppose you would just have to remember which are acids and which aren't. Usually, whatever inorganic compound has a hydrogen atom, or compounds with SO3H and COOH are acids. Can't remember others. =P

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3

There are several different definitions of acids. Brønsted being one guy who defined an acid as a substance that loses/gives/donates H+ (proton donor). Lewis is another one, and defines acid as a substance that is an electron-pair acceptor.

There probably are other definitions as well. And let's not forget the organic functional group
    -COOH.

5. Aug 31, 2011 #4

I think the lewis definition is the best since the other definitions can be explained by the accepting of electrons

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook