So how do you know when a chemical is an acid or not? I know that an

In summary, the speakers discuss how to determine whether a compound is an acid or not. They mention different definitions of acids, including Brønsted and Lewis, and note that compounds with hydrogen atoms or certain functional groups are typically considered acids. They also mention the importance of understanding the context in which a compound is being discussed, such as in water (aqueous) solution. Ultimately, they suggest that the Lewis definition may be the most comprehensive.
Titandwedebil
So how do you know when a chemical is an acid or not? I know that an acid is a compound that, when dissolved, yields H atoms, but does that mean than any compound with H in it is (or has the potential to be) an acid?

For example:

HNO2, I put down that it was Hydrogen Nitrite, but the actual answer is Nitrous acid. How do I know whether or not to name it as an acid?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Calling HNO2 as hydrogen nitrite is not wrong (likewise, we can call HCl as hydrogen chloride). I suppose it is only when the substance, that has the description of an acid, is in water (aqueous) do we call it an acid.

I suppose you would just have to remember which are acids and which aren't. Usually, whatever inorganic compound has a hydrogen atom, or compounds with SO3H and COOH are acids. Can't remember others. =P

There are several different definitions of acids. Brønsted being one guy who defined an acid as a substance that loses/gives/donates H+ (proton donor). Lewis is another one, and defines acid as a substance that is an electron-pair acceptor.

There probably are other definitions as well. And let's not forget the organic functional group
-COOH.

I think the lewis definition is the best since the other definitions can be explained by the accepting of electrons

As a scientist, it is important to understand the properties of acids and how they differ from other compounds. One way to determine if a compound is an acid is by looking at its chemical formula. Acids typically contain hydrogen (H) and a non-metal element, and when dissolved in water, they produce hydrogen ions (H+). This is why acids are often referred to as proton donors.

However, simply having an H in the chemical formula does not automatically make a compound an acid. Some compounds, like water (H2O), also contain hydrogen but are not considered acids. This is because water does not produce H+ ions when dissolved in water.

To determine if a compound is an acid or not, it is important to also consider its chemical structure and properties. Acids typically have a sour taste, react with metals to produce hydrogen gas, and turn litmus paper red. They also have a pH value of less than 7. On the other hand, compounds that do not exhibit these properties are not considered acids.

In the example provided, HNO2 is an acid because it produces H+ ions when dissolved in water and exhibits the properties of an acid. The correct way to name it is nitrous acid, as the H in the formula is bonded to the non-metal element nitrogen.

In summary, while the presence of hydrogen is an important factor in identifying acids, it is not the only determining factor. Understanding the properties and chemical structure of a compound is crucial in determining whether or not it is an acid.

1. What is the definition of an acid?

An acid is a chemical substance that has a pH lower than 7, can donate a proton or hydrogen ion, and has a sour taste.

2. How do you determine the acidity of a chemical?

The acidity of a chemical can be determined by measuring its pH level using a pH scale or pH meter. A lower pH indicates a higher acidity.

3. What are some common examples of acids?

Some common examples of acids include citric acid (found in citrus fruits), hydrochloric acid (found in stomach acid), and acetic acid (found in vinegar).

4. How do you know if a chemical is not an acid?

If a chemical has a pH higher than 7, it is considered a base. Some common examples of bases include baking soda, ammonia, and bleach.

5. Can a chemical be both an acid and a base?

Yes, a chemical can act as both an acid and a base depending on the substances it is reacting with. This is known as amphoteric behavior and is exhibited by molecules such as water and amino acids.