How can I understand a chemical reaction?

In summary: I will definitely try to borrow some molecular models. In summary, high school student finds it difficult to understand and react to chemical reactions. He recommends reading about the topic online, borrowing physical models to help visualize the processes, and taking care when doing so.
Adesh
I’m a high school student, I generally get problem in chemical reactions. I understand all physical and chemical properties of a compound, for example carboxylic acid have all the acidic property and aldehydes are highly polar. But the problem comes in chemical reactions like shift of positive charge. What can I do to improve myself in chemical reactions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman
May I suggest borrowing some molecular models ? Actually having them in your hands when comparing to charge distribution drawings and animations may help you visualise the influences and processes.

Due Care, of course. Such physical models have their limits, be aware...

Likes Adesh
Nik_2213 said:
May I suggest borrowing some molecular models ? Actually having them in your hands when comparing to charge distribution drawings and animations may help you visualise the influences and processes.

Due Care, of course. Such physical models have their limits, be aware...
Thank you for suggesting such a great advice.

1. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances, known as reactants, are transformed into one or more different substances, known as products. This transformation occurs through the breaking and forming of chemical bonds.

2. How can I identify the reactants and products in a chemical reaction?

The reactants are the substances present at the beginning of a chemical reaction, while the products are the substances formed as a result of the reaction. To identify them, you can look at the chemical equation for the reaction, which lists the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side.

3. What factors influence the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst. Increasing the temperature, concentration, and surface area typically speeds up the reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy and increase the rate of the reaction.

4. How can I balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of that element on the product side. This can be achieved by adding coefficients, or numbers in front of each molecule, to balance the number of atoms on each side.

5. What is the law of conservation of mass and how does it relate to chemical reactions?

The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. In chemical reactions, this means that the total mass of the reactants must be equal to the total mass of the products. This is why balancing a chemical equation is important, as it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is obeyed.