So how good are you, really? (day to day math/physics ability)

• Thread starter ThereIam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the difficulty of transitioning from undergraduate studies to the workforce in the field of physics. The speaker, who recently graduated with a B.A. in physics, feels intimidated by certain concepts and equations that they do not recall from their undergraduate degree. They question whether they are qualified or if they just need to study more. Other members of the conversation reassure them that it takes time to fully understand and apply the knowledge gained in a degree, and that learning how to learn and connect concepts is more important than memorization. They also point out that real-world experience and practical knowledge are gained over time, and that new graduates are hired for their potential to learn and adapt.
ThereIam
This is going to be a difficult question to phrase, so bear with me.

I recently graduated with a B.A. in physics and was extremely fortunate to land a sweet internship in R&D. It's a physics job. I'm probably going to try to go to grad school (I plan on applying next fall).

The thing is, while I love physics, I do not feel like a physicist. What I mean is, I still find plenty of calculus problems intimidating. I do not recall of the top of my mind all of Maxwell's equations (I probably only recall a couple, really, like the few that you learn earlier in an undergraduate degree). I feel like at this point I probably couldn't explain inductance more than qualitatively. I had to look up L'Hopital's rule to remember what it was. I find that most problems from Griffith's textbooks are exceptionally difficult if not beyond my ability (usually I muddle the math). My recollection of thermodynamics is nearly nil - I remember no equations pertaining to multiplicities and entropies, etc. I remember that Fourier's "trick" gives you the coefficients but not how to do it.

Do I just suck? I'm not stupid. I think I'm just way out of math shape. I picked up physics because it was fascinating and I knew I'd never have another opportunity to study it, but I was never really into math or science until my senior year of high school, when I took a physics course I liked.

6 months graduated from undergraduate physics, were y'all way better? Do I just need to study my *** off? I struggle with what I even need to have memorized, ready to go, and what is okay for me to have to look up. That kind of thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not completely qualified to answer, but I think it is safe to say that a B.A. is just the beginning. For a discipline like Physics you are still a beginner. Undergrad isn't about memorizing every detail. It's about learning how to learn. Learning how to find what you need. Learning how to connect the concepts together.

Many members on here have 10+ years of study and then decades of work experience. It's great you have your internship. Apply for grad school. Keep learning on the side. You'll be just fine :)

Last edited:
You seem to have remembered the most important stuff, for example

- Maxwell's equations exist (and I bet you know what physical quantities are in them, even if you can't remember the exact equations).
- Likewise l'Hopital's rule, etc.

Give it another 5 or 10 yearrs, and you will know the stuff that you use every day backwards, including a lot of things that you didn't learn in your degree course.

It's easy to look something up when (1) you know what it's called, (2) you know it's relevant to what you are trying to do, and (3) you know you understood it once, even if you've forgotten it since then.

The really hard part is when (1), (2), and (3) DON'T apply to your situation!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I am not completely qualified to answer, but I think it is safe to say that a B.A. is just the beginning.

Absolutely. In one of the groups I've worked in, there are about 20 engineers with first degrees, all working on a fairly specialized topic in dynamics. At best, they would have had maybe half an hour's exposure to that topic in a 4 year B.Eng course, and that would probably be based on 20-years-out-of-date design concepts. Many of them wouldn't have had even that much.

Half a lecture and a couple of homework questions isn't isn't going to compete head to head with the 100 or 200 person-years of real world experience of the people already working in the group, but we don't hire new graduates for what they already know. We hire them for what they can learn, and/or figure out for themselves.

I can understand your concerns and feelings of inadequacy. However, it is important to remember that being a physicist is not just about being able to solve complex equations or memorize formulas. It is about having a deep understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts, and being able to apply them to real-world problems.

It is completely normal to struggle with certain concepts or equations, even after graduating with a degree in physics. Physics is a vast and constantly evolving field, and it is impossible for anyone to know everything. What is important is your ability to learn and adapt, and your passion for the subject.

Instead of focusing on what you may have forgotten or struggle with, focus on your strengths and continue to build upon them. As you mentioned, you love physics and that is what matters the most. Keep challenging yourself and studying, but also remember to take breaks and not be too hard on yourself.

In terms of being "good", it is subjective and varies from person to person. What matters is that you are constantly learning and growing as a physicist, and that you are dedicated to the field. So, keep pursuing your passion and don't let your doubts hold you back. You are on the right path and with hard work and determination, you will continue to improve and excel in your day-to-day math and physics abilities.

1. What does "day to day math/physics ability" mean?

"Day to day math/physics ability" refers to the level of proficiency a person has in using math and physics in their daily life. This can include tasks such as calculating tips, understanding basic scientific principles, and solving everyday problems using mathematical and scientific reasoning.

2. How is "day to day math/physics ability" different from academic ability?

"Day to day math/physics ability" is different from academic ability in that it focuses on practical, real-world applications of math and physics rather than theoretical or abstract concepts. It is more about being able to use these skills in everyday situations rather than in a structured academic setting.

3. Can "day to day math/physics ability" be improved?

Yes, "day to day math/physics ability" can be improved through practice and continued learning. By regularly using these skills in daily life and seeking out opportunities to learn and apply them, one can improve their proficiency and confidence in math and physics.

4. What are some examples of "day to day math/physics ability"?

Examples of "day to day math/physics ability" include calculating the dimensions of a room before buying furniture, understanding how a thermostat works, and estimating the speed of a moving object. It can also involve using math and physics concepts to solve everyday problems, such as figuring out the best route to take on a road trip or determining how much paint is needed to cover a wall.

5. Why is "day to day math/physics ability" important?

"Day to day math/physics ability" is important because it allows individuals to make informed decisions, solve practical problems, and better understand the world around them. It also helps to build critical thinking and analytical skills, which are essential for success in many professions.