So, I my Modern Physics I grade was finally posted this morning.

In summary, the speaker was disappointed with their grade and believed their exam scores deserved a higher grade. They also mentioned their upcoming final in a different class and their plans to talk to the professor about a mistake on an exam. They then asked for advice on what to review for their next classes and joked about their view count. They were encouraged to stop procrastinating and wished good luck.
Shackleford
Well, I was hoping for an A- :frown:, because I thought my exam grades (22/25, 20/25, 22/25) might have warranted it even though my homework average (maybe 40/50) wasn't that great. Actually, now that I'm looking at it, it seems it was a pretty rigid grade and there probably wasn't much "curve," given my numbers. I should mention though that this was my first upper-division physics course at UH since I transferred last spring.

My vector analysis final is next Thursday. In that class I have a 96/100 and 86/100. I made a boo-boo in the second exam which cost me a few more points than I thought it should have. I'll probably ask the professor about it this afternoon.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I guess a question some of you can answer is what specifically should I review for Modern Physics II (Quantum Mechanics) and Intermediate Mechanics?

237 views. lol.

Shackleford said:
Well, I guess a question some of you can answer is what specifically should I review for Modern Physics II (Quantum Mechanics) and Intermediate Mechanics?
Shackleford said:
237 views. lol.

You probably have a good idea of what you should review. One hint - it isn't the view-counter. :smile:

Well, a little procrastination is understandable, but get to it. I do wish you good luck!

Congratulations on completing your Modern Physics I course and receiving your grade! It's always disappointing when we don't receive the grade we were hoping for, but it's important to remember that grades are based on a variety of factors and not just exam scores. It's great that you recognized the areas where you could have improved, such as your homework average, and it's also important to consider that this was your first upper-division physics course at your new university. This may have played a role in your final grade.

Moving forward, it's great to hear that you have a strong performance in your vector analysis class. It's always a good idea to speak with your professor about any concerns or questions you have regarding your grades. They may be able to provide insight into how your grade was calculated and offer advice on how to improve for future exams. Keep up the good work and best of luck on your final exam next Thursday!

1. What is Modern Physics and why is it important?

Modern Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It is important because it helps us understand the nature of the universe and allows us to develop technologies that improve our daily lives.

2. What topics are typically covered in Modern Physics I?

Modern Physics I typically covers topics such as special relativity, quantum mechanics, atomic structure, and nuclear physics. It also introduces students to important concepts such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle.

3. How is Modern Physics I different from other physics courses?

Modern Physics I is different from other physics courses, such as classical mechanics, in that it focuses on the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It also incorporates theories and principles from quantum mechanics, which is not typically covered in other physics courses.

4. What are some common challenges students face in Modern Physics I?

Some common challenges students may face in Modern Physics I include understanding and applying abstract concepts, dealing with complex mathematical equations, and visualizing the behavior of particles at the atomic level. It may also be challenging for students who are used to traditional physics concepts and equations.

5. What can I do to succeed in Modern Physics I?

To succeed in Modern Physics I, it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and work on understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing equations. Seeking help from the professor or a tutor can also be beneficial.