1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So I'm going to take Jackson in the fall.

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    I've heard many horror stories. Any tips? Any specific parts of Griffiths I should be extra keen on?

Is the answer...*sigh*... "all of it backwards and forwards"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

What is your mathematical background like?

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    My [vector] calculus is good. I could be better at solving differential equations. Getting my feet wet in group theory for the last couple of weeks.

I've taken a class that used Boas, that was a few years ago.

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4

verty

Homework Helper

I see in the first chapter "Formal solution of electrostatic boundary-value problem with Green function" on page 38 and "Variational approach to the solution of Laplace and Poisson equations" on page 43, which suggests to me that this is rather like a review of what you need to know, with new content kicking off in chapter 2.

Which sounds to me (given the little that I know about such advanced things) like everything in Boas, particularly chapters 12 and 13, to be understood and mastered before you start.

Sounds fun :>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook