So, i've always had an interest in law

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in engineering and their plan to major in electrical or chemical engineering. They also mention the possibility of attending law school and the potential job opportunities that could arise, such as becoming a patent attorney or working in intellectual property law. The conversation also highlights the importance of having technical and scientific knowledge in these fields. The individual expresses their fascination with intellectual property and how it relates to their interest in music.
pakmingki
but i also have a huge interest in engineering.
Right now, the plan is to major in either electrical or chemical engineering. Maybe even both, if the situation permits.

if i major in either of those disciplines, and go to law school, what kind of job could i get?

for example, one who majors in business/econ and goes to law school can become a corporate attorney.
What can a major in engineering do with a law degree?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i think most people will tell you patent law and intellectual property law

ice109 said:
i think most people will tell you patent law and intellectual property law
why?

(minimum of ten characters lulz)

pakmingki said:
why?

(minimum of ten characters lulz)

Your engineering background will complement you in these areas. You will need to have technical and scientific knowledge with regards to your clients products. Not everyone can do this patent stuff because you need to meet the requirements of scientific and technical training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_attorney#United_States
http://www.ppi2pass.com/ppi/PPIInfo_pg_myppi-faqs-patent.html

Last edited by a moderator:
hm, wel this may be an avenue i may seriously consider.

Cause for one, i actually am very interested in the thigns about intellectual property. I am also a huge music fan, and the whole issue about music as intellectual property fascinates me as well.

What is the relationship between science and law?

The relationship between science and law is complex and multidimensional. While science seeks to discover and understand the natural world, law seeks to regulate human behavior and maintain social order. Science can inform and support the development of laws and regulations, but ultimately, the application of scientific findings in the legal system is determined by societal values and ethical considerations.

How does science play a role in the legal system?

Science plays a crucial role in the legal system, particularly in cases that involve scientific evidence or expertise. In criminal cases, forensic science is often used to analyze evidence and determine the guilt or innocence of a defendant. In civil cases, scientific experts may be called upon to provide testimony and opinions on matters such as product liability or environmental damage. Additionally, scientific research can inform the development of laws and regulations.

What ethical considerations are involved in the intersection of science and law?

The intersection of science and law raises ethical considerations on both sides. Scientists must ensure that their research is conducted ethically and without bias, and that any findings are accurately reported. In the legal system, it is important to consider the potential impact of scientific evidence and expertise on the outcome of a case, as well as the ethical implications of using scientific knowledge to regulate human behavior.

How do scientists and lawyers collaborate?

Scientists and lawyers often collaborate in cases that involve scientific evidence or expertise. This collaboration can take many forms, such as consulting with scientific experts, conducting joint research projects, or working together to develop legislation or regulations. Effective collaboration between scientists and lawyers requires open communication and a mutual understanding of each other's fields of expertise.

What are some current issues at the intersection of science and law?

One current issue at the intersection of science and law is the use of emerging technologies, such as artificial intelligence and genetic engineering, and how they should be regulated. Another issue is the role of science in addressing climate change and environmental issues. Additionally, there are ongoing discussions about how to best incorporate scientific evidence into the legal system and ensure its accuracy and reliability.