Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SO(n) actions on vector bundles

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    An oriented surface with a Riemannian metric has a natural action of the unit circle on its tangent bundle. Rotate the tangent vector through the angle theta in the positively direction.

Is there a natural action of SO(n) on the tangent bundle of an oriented Riemannian n-manifold?

Same question for any oriented vector bundle with Riemannian metric over a smooth manifold.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2
    In general, the answer is no. I don't see how one could define it independent of basis.

It does act, however, on the frame bundle (kind of like a lift of the tangent bundle to a principal bundle). The 2-dimensional case is quite special, since the frame bundle of an oriented 2-manifold is a circle (i.e. fix an angle - then orientation gives you an orthonormal frame).

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    Right - so what you are saying implies the following. take a unit vector and extend it to an oriented n-frame arbitrarily, keeping the vector as the first element of the frame. Let SO(n) act on this frame. Then the image of v under this action depends on the choice of the orthogonal complement to v.

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    Yes, I believe that's precisely it. Unless the action fixes v (or v itself determines a basis, as in the 2-dimensional oriented case), you have to specify which tangent vector to send it to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook