1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics So what types of jobs can I expect with a physics degree?

1. Mar 9, 2012 #1
    So, not going to lie I'm kinda scared about majoring in physics, i'm sure it will be very tough.

I plan on majoring in physics and then going for astrophysics while getting my doctorate. After spending all of this time in school i'll have jobs right? I mean I wouldn't think someone with a doctorate in Astrophysics would be a clerk at Starbucks but thats what I fear.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2

eri

There aren't many jobs in astronomy; while it's a useful degree for many things, you simply can't plan on getting a job that requires you know astronomy.

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    I am *currently* headed down the same career path. You will inevitably have to learn to program along the way (don't fight it), which will be one of the more important skills physicists can transfer to any non-academic job.

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Step 1: get PhD in astronomy

Step 2: Open Starbucks which also has coin operated telescopes

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook