So what types of jobs can I expect with a physics degree?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
GKDAIR
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
So, not going to lie I'm kinda scared about majoring in physics, I'm sure it will be very tough.

I plan on majoring in physics and then going for astrophysics while getting my doctorate. After spending all of this time in school i'll have jobs right? I mean I wouldn't think someone with a doctorate in Astrophysics would be a clerk at Starbucks but that's what I fear.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't many jobs in astronomy; while it's a useful degree for many things, you simply can't plan on getting a job that requires you know astronomy.
 
I am *currently* headed down the same career path. You will inevitably have to learn to program along the way (don't fight it), which will be one of the more important skills physicists can transfer to any non-academic job.
 
Step 1: get PhD in astronomy

Step 2: Open Starbucks which also has coin operated telescopes

Step 3: ?

Step 4: Profit.
 
Last edited: