Is a job in physics possible? I have a bachelor's degree in geology

In summary: So consider this when you are giving advice on what he/she may be able to...You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary.
Amira bn
Hello,

I have a bachalor in geology, (3 years in university - USTHB ALGERIA - GEOLOGY -mineral resources)
I want to get a job or an online job in physics/astrophysics/astronomy, how is that possible?
will getting online certifications help?
what are the things that i can do that will help me be a researcher or a teacher in physics?

thanks. :oldshy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amira bn said:
Hello,

I have a bachalor in geology, (3 years in university - USTHB ALGERIA - GEOLOGY -mineral resources)
I want to get a job or an online job in physics/astrophysics/astronomy, how is that possible?
will getting online certifications help?
what are the things that i can do that will help me be a researcher or a teacher in physics?

thanks. :oldshy:

What makes you think you are qualified to be employed for a physics/astronomy/astrophysics job? If I give you a waveguide and ask you to map the EM field in that waveguide, are you able to do that?

Furthermore, how are you going to get that job ahead of people who have a background and degree in physics/astrophysics/astronomy? Don't you think there will be competition for that job? Why do you think you are more qualified than them?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What makes you think you are qualified to be employed for a physics/astronomy/astrophysics job? If I give you a waveguide and ask you to map the EM field in that waveguide, are you able to do that?

Furthermore, how are you going to get that job ahead of people who have a background and degree in physics/astrophysics/astronomy? Don't you think there will be competition for that job? Why do you think you are more qualified than them?

Zz.
well, have i said that I'm better than them? I don't think that I did.
I'm asking for the opportunities, how to be qualified to get a job in physics/astrophysics/astronomy :)

Likes K Murty
Amira bn said:
well, have i said that I'm better than them? I don't think that I did.
I'm asking for the opportunities, how to be qualified to get a job in physics/astrophysics/astronomy :)

Get a PHD in physics/astrophysics/astronomy.

Zz.

What KIND of job do you want? If you have an example of the job that you want, then the answers here would be more precise.

You don't necessarily need a PhD, but ZapperZ is obviously right that there are many people already in these fields that would be more qualified. That's not to say that YOU can't get qualified, but start by explaining what you want to be doing...

plasmon_shmasmon said:
What KIND of job do you want? If you have an example of the job that you want, then the answers here would be more precise.

You don't necessarily need a PhD, but ZapperZ is obviously right that there are many people already in these fields that would be more qualified. That's not to say that YOU can't get qualified, but start by explaining what you want to be doing...

Hey,

Thank you for being positive ^^
The kind of jobs i want are lab jobs, research physicist, a teacher.
As i said, no i don't think I'm qualified yet, so what I'm asking here is "how I can be qualified without getting more university degrees to get thses kind of jobs?"

Thanks.

Amira bn said:
Hey,

Thank you for being positive ^^
The kind of jobs i want are lab jobs, research physicist, a teacher.
As i said, no i don't think I'm qualified yet, so what I'm asking here is "how I can be qualified without getting more university degrees to get thses kind of jobs?"

Thanks.

A PGCE in the UK is about 10 months and you can get a bursary depending on your degree classification, there may have something similar where you are.
https://www.britishcouncil.dz/en/about/jobs
There always seems to be a shortage of science teachers.

You don't fancy going for a MSc or something similar in geology? Its an interesting subject ..

Planetary geology, astrogeology, and geophysics come to mind. You will need more schooling, but you are probably best to use your geology knowledge in combination with physics or astronomy. Good luck!

Likes pinball1970
Most physicists can't even get jobs in physics, so probably not.

Likes symbolipoint
Teaching high school physics is your best bet. A buddy of mine is nearing the end of a long career as a high school physics teacher with a BS in geology. Often, one can get a high school science teaching certification with a BS in any science field, then the teaching assignments come down to the local principal. Some districts and schools have more demand for physics teachers than others.

The OP stated that he/she received his/her degree from Algeria. Presumably, this is where he/she is seeking employment, unless further clarification is given.

So consider this when you are giving advice on what he/she may be able to do.

Zz.

1. Can I get a job in physics with a bachelor's degree in geology?

Yes, it is possible to get a job in physics with a bachelor's degree in geology. While your degree may not be in the same field, the skills and knowledge you have gained from studying geology can be applied to various areas of physics, such as geophysics or environmental physics.

2. Will I need additional education or training for a job in physics with a geology degree?

It depends on the specific job and employer. Some positions may require a certain level of education or specific coursework in physics, while others may value your experience and skills gained from studying geology. It is always best to research the specific job requirements and qualifications before applying.

3. What types of jobs in physics are available for someone with a geology degree?

There are a variety of jobs in physics that may be suitable for someone with a geology degree. Some examples include geophysicist, environmental scientist, research assistant, science writer, and science teacher. It's important to research and consider your interests and strengths to find the best fit for you.

4. How can I make myself more competitive for a job in physics with a geology degree?

One way to make yourself more competitive is by gaining relevant experience through internships, research projects, or part-time jobs related to physics or geology. You can also consider taking additional courses or obtaining certifications in areas that align with your career goals in physics.

5. Are there any transferable skills from geology that will be useful in a job in physics?

Yes, there are several transferable skills from geology that can be valuable in a job in physics. These may include critical thinking, data analysis, problem-solving, and technical writing. Additionally, your understanding of the Earth's processes and natural systems can be applied to various areas of physics and scientific research.