Soccer ball question: hypotenuse/adjacent and opposite lengths

• Thread starter besthands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, Jake has kicked a soccer ball with an initial velocity of 30 m/s at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal. The task is to find the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity vector. To solve this problem, you can use trigonometry by identifying the adjacent and opposite lengths in a diagram and using the given hypotenuse of 30 m/s. If needed, you can also draw a diagram to visualize the problem better.
besthands
Jake kicked a soccer ball into the air at an angle of 45 degrees to the horizontal with an intial result velocity of 30 m/s. Find both the vertical and horizzonatal components of the velocity vector. Hint: the angle of your interest is 45 degrees and you want to find adjacent and opposite lengths with the given hypotenuse 30 m/s.

Thanks for any help provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question pretty much says everything...

But I know nothing :(

draw a diagram, label the hypotenuse as your velocity and solve,

If you're still having trouble, use trig.

Yeah, I figure this is really simple. We've had one class and this is the first homework. I haven't had math in 4 years and even then I struggled. Not seeing how to do this but I'll figure it out somehow. Thanks.

I did make a diagram, have the hypotenuse and 30m/s labeled but that's it.

What is a hypotenuse in relation to a soccer ball?

The hypotenuse of a soccer ball refers to the longest side of a right triangle formed by the ball, with the adjacent and opposite sides being the shorter sides.

What are the adjacent and opposite lengths of a soccer ball?

The adjacent and opposite lengths of a soccer ball are the two shorter sides of a right triangle formed by the ball, with the hypotenuse being the longest side.

How are the hypotenuse, adjacent, and opposite lengths of a soccer ball related?

The hypotenuse, adjacent, and opposite lengths of a soccer ball are related through the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (c) is equal to the sum of the squares of the adjacent (a) and opposite (b) sides (c² = a² + b²).

Why is it important to understand the hypotenuse, adjacent, and opposite lengths of a soccer ball?

Understanding these lengths can help in accurately calculating the distance and angle of a soccer ball's trajectory, as well as predicting its path and potential outcomes during a game.

How can knowledge of the hypotenuse, adjacent, and opposite lengths be applied to improve soccer ball performance?

Knowing these lengths can help in designing soccer balls with optimal flight and bounce characteristics, as well as assisting players in making strategic shots and passes during a game.