Does sodium iodoacetate shorten cell lifespan by blocking glycolysis?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Morass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sodium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
Morass
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I was reading a research article on the effects of sodium iodoacetate on glycolysis (http://www.jbc.org/content/141/2/539.full.pdf"), and it got me thinking. What effect would iodoacetate have on the life span of any living cell? From the article, I understood that it aided in stopping glycolysis. Does that mean that iodoacetate would be detrimental to the health of living organisms? Or am I extrapolating wrong here?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Hi,
Let me see if I can be of any help.
Glycolysis is a key metabolic process, without it, a cell cannot continue into the other pathways. Energy is key for a cell's survival to replicate, to repair, and to carry out specialized tasks. In this way, inhibiting glycolysis implies death.