Software engeneering vs Software technology

In summary, Software Engineering is about creating products and software, while Information Technology is more about the practical aspects of networking and systems administration.
Giuliano97
I'm currently an undergraduate student in computer science and I'm tryng to figure out what is the difference between Soft Tech MS course and Soft Eng MS course.
For now, i found that software engeneers are more capable to handle the "hardware" while software technology courses gives you more accurate programming skills.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the official descriptions from the university catalog? I've never heard of "Software Technology".

Giuliano97 said:
I'm currently an undergraduate student in computer science and I'm tryng to figure out what is the difference between Soft Tech MS course and Soft Eng MS course.
For now, i found that software engeneers are more capable to handle the "hardware" while software technology courses gives you more accurate programming skills.
Thanks in advance.

As jedishrfu points out, the distinction is usually made between Software Engineering and Information Technology or sometimes between Software Engineering and Software Development. All this boils down to the distinction between Engineering on the one hand and Science on the other, with all these things that this distinction means / implies. Now, that said, I had also a course in my curriculum under the title "Software Technology and Application" and it was all about software engineering principles, applied to various projects and also including parts of the implementation in some programming language(s). In order to pass it, there was a strict requirement to create a medium sized project for every team of students - 3 persons each. The choice of the project was discussed with and decided by the instructor. The project was to be built from the ground up including organization, resources, UML diagrams and full implementation in code. As far as I know it is not a standard in all CS curricula worldwide but it is ultimately a CS thing.

Sounds like one is software engineering and the other is IT. Neither has to do a lot with hardware, but it's actually the IT people who should have more knowledge of hardware. I assume in IT you'd learn things like how networks work, and how to link them together with switches and firewalls and all that jazz. Software is about general algorithm design and modern paradigms: event driven code, OOP, parallelization...

Once you're in the field, you'll end up doing both. I manage my own servers as well as write all of the code for the products. Even if you don't have to manage your company's servers, you'll likely need to know how to set up VMs and link them together for testing purposes. You'll definitely need several slaves (I have about three running at any given time.)

1. What is the difference between software engineering and software technology?

Software engineering is the process of designing, developing, and maintaining software systems using engineering principles and practices. It focuses on creating reliable, efficient, and high-quality software products. On the other hand, software technology refers to the tools, techniques, and methodologies used to create software. It includes programming languages, frameworks, and development tools.

2. Which one is more important, software engineering or software technology?

Both software engineering and software technology are equally important in the software development process. Software engineering provides the foundation and structure for creating software, while software technology provides the means to implement and execute software engineering principles.

3. Can software engineering and software technology be used interchangeably?

No, software engineering and software technology are not interchangeable terms. While they are closely related, they refer to different aspects of the software development process. Software engineering is a broader concept that encompasses various stages of software development, while software technology focuses on the tools and techniques used in the development process.

4. Does one need to have a degree in software engineering or software technology to work in the field?

Having a degree in software engineering or software technology can certainly be beneficial for a career in the field. However, there are various other paths to enter the software industry, such as coding bootcamps, online courses, or self-learning. What matters most is having a strong understanding of fundamental programming concepts and continuously learning and keeping up with new technologies.

5. What are some examples of software engineering and software technology in practice?

Examples of software engineering in practice include the use of agile methodologies, test-driven development, and software design patterns. On the other hand, software technology examples include programming languages like Java, development tools like GitHub, and frameworks like React. Both software engineering and software technology are used in combination to create efficient and high-quality software products.