1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software engeneering vs Software technology

1. Dec 20, 2017 #1
    I'm currently an undergraduate student in computer science and i'm tryng to figure out what is the difference between Soft Tech MS course and Soft Eng MS course.
    For now, i found that software engeneers are more capable to handle the "hardware" while software technology courses gives you more accurate programming skills.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2017 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Did you mean information technology?

4. Dec 20, 2017 #3
    Can you post the official descriptions from the university catalog? I've never heard of "Software Technology".

5. Dec 20, 2017 #4

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

As jedishrfu points out, the distinction is usually made between Software Engineering and Information Technology or sometimes between Software Engineering and Software Development. All this boils down to the distinction between Engineering on the one hand and Science on the other, with all these things that this distinction means / implies. Now, that said, I had also a course in my curriculum under the title "Software Technology and Application" and it was all about software engineering principles, applied to various projects and also including parts of the implementation in some programming language(s). In order to pass it, there was a strict requirement to create a medium sized project for every team of students - 3 persons each. The choice of the project was discussed with and decided by the instructor. The project was to be built from the ground up including organization, resources, UML diagrams and full implementation in code. As far as I know it is not a standard in all CS curricula worldwide but it is ultimately a CS thing.

6. Dec 21, 2017 #5
    Sounds like one is software engineering and the other is IT. Neither has to do a lot with hardware, but it's actually the IT people who should have more knowledge of hardware. I assume in IT you'd learn things like how networks work, and how to link them together with switches and firewalls and all that jazz. Software is about general algorithm design and modern paradigms: event driven code, OOP, parallelization...

Once you're in the field, you'll end up doing both. I manage my own servers as well as write all of the code for the products. Even if you don't have to manage your company's servers, you'll likely need to know how to set up VMs and link them together for testing purposes. You'll definitely need several slaves (I have about three running at any given time.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted