Software for creating good illustrations for reports and articles?

In summary, when it comes to choosing software for creating illustrations for reports and articles, there is no one "best" option as it ultimately depends on individual needs and preferences. However, some popular choices include Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW, and Inkscape. It is also possible to use free software such as Inkscape, GIMP, and Canva for basic illustrations. While having artistic skills can be helpful, it is not a requirement for using illustration software as most programs have user-friendly interfaces. The learning curve for illustration software can vary, but with regular practice and dedication, one can become proficient within a few weeks to a couple of months. Additional resources and tutorials are also available, both from the software itself and online, to
Repetit
Hey...

Can someone recommend good software for creating 2D illustrations for articles and reports? I've been using SmartSketch for a while, but I don't really like it.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
...you've got any OS preferences ...win or *nix? And by "illustrations" what kind of stuff are you actually after ... 2D, 3D graphing of data & functions etc., drawing "things", ... ?

Try Macromedia Fireworks, they've got trial versions on the site. I use it for websites, page layout. Its the vectors on it which really help.

1. What is the best software for creating illustrations for reports and articles?

There is no one "best" software as it ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, some popular options include Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW, and Inkscape.

2. Can I use free software for creating illustrations for my reports and articles?

Yes, there are many free software options available, such as Inkscape, GIMP, and Canva. These programs offer basic illustration tools and can be suitable for simple illustrations.

3. Do I need to have artistic skills to use software for creating illustrations?

No, while having artistic skills can be helpful, it is not a requirement for using illustration software. Most programs have user-friendly interfaces and tools that make it easy for non-artists to create professional-looking illustrations.

4. How long does it take to learn how to use illustration software?

The learning curve for illustration software can vary depending on the complexity of the program and your previous experience with similar software. However, with regular practice and dedication, you can become proficient in using the software within a few weeks to a couple of months.

5. Are there any additional resources or tutorials available for learning how to use illustration software?

Yes, most software programs offer tutorials and guides to help you learn the basics and advanced techniques. You can also find many online resources, such as YouTube tutorials and online courses, to further improve your skills with the software.