Software for quantum calculations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for free simulators or software that can handle complex integrals and calculations involving wave functions and transition probabilities. The speaker suggests using general math software such as Octave, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab. They also mention a website with a variety of topics to explore, but it requires a large download. Finally, a list of quantum chemistry and solid-state physics software is recommended for further exploration.
houlahound
is there any decent free simulators or software for doing the massive integrals involved with square of wave functions, the area under the square of them. transition probabilities, average position etc for systems more complex than a particle in a box.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing specific comes to mind that meets your description.
I use general math software. Octave, Maple etc .. .also mathematica, and Matlab.
The less the math software does for you the better.

I agree if I was a student or professional.

as I am an enthusiast/amateur, physics hobby guy I am free to take the lazy path and play with the results and let the pro's do the heavy lifting.

I found this goldmine of things to play with, topics available will keep me off the streets for the rest of this lifetime and into the next 3.

requires downloading their free app which was a huge download.

http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/HydrogenOrbitals/

upload_2016-10-30_14-38-56.png
upload_2016-10-30_14-39-17.png

1. What is software for quantum calculations?

Software for quantum calculations is a set of computer programs that implement algorithms and mathematical models for simulating and analyzing quantum systems. These programs help scientists and researchers to perform complex calculations and simulations that would otherwise be impossible to solve analytically.

2. How does software for quantum calculations work?

Software for quantum calculations uses quantum algorithms and mathematical models to simulate and analyze the behavior of quantum systems. These programs utilize the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform calculations and generate results.

3. What are the applications of software for quantum calculations?

Software for quantum calculations has a wide range of applications in various fields such as quantum chemistry, materials science, cryptography, and optimization. It is used to study and analyze complex quantum systems, design new materials and drugs, and develop more secure communication systems.

4. What are the advantages of using software for quantum calculations?

One of the main advantages of using software for quantum calculations is its ability to solve complex problems that classical computers cannot. It also allows for faster and more accurate simulations, which can help researchers make new discoveries and advancements in various fields.

5. What are the limitations of software for quantum calculations?

Currently, one of the main limitations of software for quantum calculations is its dependence on quantum hardware. As quantum computers are still in the early stages of development and are not widely available, the use of software for quantum calculations is limited. Additionally, the software may also face challenges in accurately representing and simulating large-scale quantum systems.