Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software that would give me the resulting color depending

1. Aug 21, 2009 #1
    (Sorry if this message isn't in the right place, I couldn't find any other)

Hi,
    I'm looking for a software that would give me the resulting color depending on the luminances of other colors (for instance 30% of red (680 nm) + 59% of green (545nm) + 11%of blue (440 nm) gives a white color).

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 21, 2009 #3
    Re: Color--software

1) Luminance is a perceptual measure of light integrated over wavelength, it doesn't really make sense to talk about luminance in individual wavelengths because luminance is a quantity integrated over wavelength. I think the word you are looking for is radiance.

2) I believe the question is ill-posed because you assume that the perceived color is determined only by the proportion of radiant light in each wavelength...whereas I believe the perception of each wavelength is non-linear.

3) Anyway, I think your question may be best answered by simply converting between color spaces...such as, convert from RGB into HSV color space. Conversation equations are here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV

By the way, this isn't really a software question as nobody is going to design a piece of software for such a basic calculation.

5. Aug 22, 2009 #4

Thanks for this explanation but I still do not understand everything:
    Supposing that we light up the same surface of an optical system (the eye) by two different monochromatic lights (each one characterized by a wavelength and intensity): Can we predict the color that will be perceived by the eye?

6. Sep 7, 2009 #5

harborsparrow

Gold Member

I believe that is possible, but it is not a programming problem so much as a physics problem. Try asking in the Physics areas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook