Software to soothe your computer eyes

In summary, f.lux is a software that helps extend the lifetime of the eyes by matching the screen light to the outside light. It is available through the app store in Ubuntu and has been reported to be less cranky about the VGA than Windows 7.
I rarely promote software, but since reading about the blue light glasses in the medical forum and remembering many members having trouble with light background sites I though I'd mention f.lux

f.lux has pretty much extended the lifetime of my eyes. It follows the sun in your area to match your screen light to the outside light. For example when it's midday, the blue light flows, but at night it changes to a more yellow. It does change your colors a bit though. I still use it all the time and my eyes don't hurt as much.

Read more
https://justgetflux.com/

@Evo

Likes harborsparrow
Computer science news on Phys.org
It sounds like it makes the monitor bright during the day, I need it dark all of the time.

f.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
:oldfrown:

Evo said:
It sounds like it makes the monitor bright during the day, I need it dark all of the time.

:oldfrown:
You can adjust it so it's warm yellows all day/night.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You can adjust it so it's warm yellows all day/night.
Ooh, can it be blue instead?

Evo said:
Ooh, can it be blue instead?
Yes, but that is what is usually hard on the eyes

I'm a bat. I had actually been thinking of making one of those old fashioned dark tinted monitor overlays.

When I go places, I usually wear sunglasses indoors due to the bright indoor lighting. Light is actually painful for me. I can see very well in near darkness.

Thanks for the link Greg!

Last edited:
Greg, which OS do you use f.lux in?

So you have no idea on how to set it up on Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivatives, right?

It's available through the app store in Ubuntu I believe. If not I know there will be a .deb you can get online. I have it installed, I just forgot how I installed it years ago.

I got something from their PPA but it is somewhat... buggy. Will check the store (I hate that place).
I don't see it in the store. =/

Another reason to get Win 8 soon. Hope it will be less cranky about my VGA whose BIOS I altered than Win 7.

Win 7 is still great for me. I have played with 8.1 and it is nice too, but still little reason to upgrade

Greg Bernhardt said:
Win 7 is still great for me. I have played with 8.1 and it is nice too, but still little reason to upgrade
My desktop and notebook are currently running only Linux. 64-bit Win VMs are a pain on the notebook (6 to 7 yo machine).
Plus: I miss Visual Studio and ALL the software that "runs optimally on Windows, acceptably on Mac and... well, works under Linux.".
I don't want windows command prompt back. I miss apt and yum. Hate the interface.
MatLab (which I haven't used for a while) has better performance under Win than Ubuntu (at least on my machines).
MS Office is WAY better than Libre Office.
Have you used Octave under Windows? Is it OK?

Libre Office is good for free, but there are some compatibility problems between the two

Greg Bernhardt said:
Libre Office is good for free, but there are some compatibility problems between the two
Namely PowerPoint, which I fortunately do not need. All my formula-intensive .docx have been slowly typed into .tex files. A pure win-win.

Can you answer about Octave?

oui I just got a new laptop and I wonder if the screen is different than my last. On this one I have to set the brightness all the way down.

Can't you just place them side by side and let your eyes tell you?

Better yet: conduct a study with 100 humans as control (gotta buy a third laptop, I think) and another 100 looking to both screens.

Greg, thanks for posting about f.lux -- I have started using it on Windows. When searching for it on my Android phone and tablet, I ended up selection Bluelite Filter app instead--it works extremely well and does the same thing as f.lux on Windows.

1. What is "Software to soothe your computer eyes"?

"Software to soothe your computer eyes" is a type of computer program designed to reduce strain and fatigue on your eyes while using electronic devices, such as computers, tablets, and smartphones. It typically includes features like blue light filters, brightness adjustments, and screen dimming options.

2. How does "Software to soothe your computer eyes" work?

The software works by adjusting the light emitted from your device's screen. It can filter out blue light, which has been linked to eye strain, and reduce the overall brightness of your screen. Some software may also include features like reminders to take breaks and eye exercises to reduce fatigue and strain.

3. Is "Software to soothe your computer eyes" effective?

Yes, "Software to soothe your computer eyes" can be effective in reducing eye strain and fatigue. However, its effectiveness may vary depending on the individual and the severity of their symptoms. It is also important to note that this software should not be used as a substitute for proper eye care and regular breaks from screen time.

4. Are there any side effects of using "Software to soothe your computer eyes"?

In general, there are no known side effects of using this software. However, some individuals may experience temporary discomfort, such as dry eyes or blurred vision, when adjusting to the changes in light and screen settings. If you experience any persistent discomfort, it is best to consult with an eye doctor.

5. Can "Software to soothe your computer eyes" be used on all devices?

Most "Software to soothe your computer eyes" is designed to work on multiple devices, including computers, tablets, and smartphones. However, it is always important to check the compatibility of the software with your specific device before downloading and using it. Some software may also have different versions for different operating systems.