Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Software to soothe your computer eyes

1. Dec 3, 2014 #1
    I rarely promote software, but since reading about the blue light glasses in the medical forum and remembering many members having trouble with light background sites I though I'd mention f.lux

f.lux has pretty much extended the lifetime of my eyes. It follows the sun in your area to match your screen light to the outside light. For example when it's midday, the blue light flows, but at night it changes to a more yellow. It does change your colors a bit though. I still use it all the time and my eyes don't hurt as much.

Read more
    https://justgetflux.com/

@Evo

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It sounds like it makes the monitor bright during the day, I need it dark all of the time.

:oldfrown:

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3
    You can adjust it so it's warm yellows all day/night.

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

Evo

Ooh, can it be blue instead?

6. Dec 3, 2014 #5
    Yes, but that is what is usually hard on the eyes

7. Dec 3, 2014 #6

Evo

I'm a bat. I had actually been thinking of making one of those old fashioned dark tinted monitor overlays.

When I go places, I usually wear sunglasses indoors due to the bright indoor lighting. Light is actually painful for me. I can see very well in near darkness.

Thanks for the link Greg!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  8. Dec 5, 2014 #7
    Greg, which OS do you use f.lux in?

9. Dec 6, 2014 #8
    Windows 7 and 8

10. Dec 6, 2014 #9
    So you have no idea on how to set it up on Ubuntu or Ubuntu derivatives, right?

11. Dec 6, 2014 #10
    It's available through the app store in Ubuntu I believe. If not I know there will be a .deb you can get online. I have it installed, I just forgot how I installed it years ago.

12. Dec 6, 2014 #11
    I got something from their PPA but it is somewhat... buggy. Will check the store (I hate that place).
    I don't see it in the store. =/

Another reason to get Win 8 soon. Hope it will be less cranky about my VGA whose BIOS I altered than Win 7.

13. Dec 6, 2014 #12
    Win 7 is still great for me. I have played with 8.1 and it is nice too, but still little reason to upgrade

14. Dec 6, 2014 #13
    My desktop and notebook are currently running only Linux. 64-bit Win VMs are a pain on the notebook (6 to 7 yo machine).
    Plus: I miss Visual Studio and ALL the software that "runs optimally on Windows, acceptably on Mac and... well, works under Linux.".
    I don't want windows command prompt back. I miss apt and yum. Hate the interface.
    MatLab (which I haven't used for a while) has better performance under Win than Ubuntu (at least on my machines).
    MS Office is WAY better than Libre Office.
    Have you used Octave under Windows? Is it OK?

15. Dec 6, 2014 #14
    Libre Office is good for free, but there are some compatibility problems between the two

16. Dec 6, 2014 #15
    Namely PowerPoint, which I fortunately do not need. All my formula-intensive .docx have been slowly typed into .tex files. A pure win-win.

Can you answer about Octave?

17. Dec 6, 2014 #16
    Never used it, sorry

18. Dec 8, 2014 #17
  19. Dec 11, 2014 #18
    oui I just got a new laptop and I wonder if the screen is different than my last. On this one I have to set the brightness all the way down.

20. Dec 12, 2014 #19
    Can't you just place them side by side and let your eyes tell you?

Better yet: conduct a study with 100 humans as control (gotta buy a third laptop, I think) and another 100 looking to both screens.

21. Jan 6, 2015 #20

harborsparrow

Gold Member

Greg, thanks for posting about f.lux -- I have started using it on Windows. When searching for it on my Android phone and tablet, I ended up selection Bluelite Filter app instead--it works extremely well and does the same thing as f.lux on Windows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook