Solar Con? Eclipse road trip to Makanda Illinois

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Blank_Stare
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eclipse Solar
In summary, the person is heading to Makanda Illinois for the Eclipse on August 21st. They will be staying there for a week and will be using a couple of telescopes, as well as solar filter material taped to a pair of binoculars. They are from Milwaukee and will be driving to Kansas City, Missouri, then on to Denver, Las Vegas, and points west.
Blank_Stare
I think I may be heading to Makanda Illinois, on August 21, for the Eclipse. (Where I live in Michigan, it will only be about 80% - I want the full effect...) In all likelihood, considering my age, and how mobile I may be by the next time there is a full eclipse in the US, I have decided I don't want to miss it.

Here are some questions for the group:

1. Is anyone else heading to the same general vicinity? If so, is it worth considering a gathering? I'd love to meet some of you in person.

2. What specific city/town/park/campground are you visiting? Why that one in particular?

3. How long will you be staying there?

4. If you plan to observe this event through some kind of apparatus, what gear do you anticipate using? Furthermore, what gear can you suggest on a tight budget, that beats a "shoe box and pinhole" projector? Special welding goggles, perhaps?

Feel free to offer additional ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
We do have a thread on this, but it has fallen down and yours is tightly focused, so it is fine. Here's that thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/u-s-solar-eclipse-of-aug-21-2017.866521/page-4#post-5686922

Anyway:
Blank_Stare said:
I think I may be heading to Makanda Illinois, on August 8th, for the Eclipse. (Where I live in Michigan, it will only be about 80% - I want the full effect...) In all likelihood, considering my age, and how mobile I may be by the next time there is a full eclipse in the US, I have decided I don't want to miss it.

Here are some questions for the group:

1. Is anyone else heading to the same general vicinity? If so, is it worth considering a gathering? I'd love to meet some of you in person.

2. What specific city/town/park/campground are you visiting? Why that one in particular?
I'll let you check the thread and others can reply, but I'll be traveling to Charleston, SC for it. The reason is a group of friends and I take a trip to the beach every year(recently, Outer Banks, NC) and I hijacked it this year (date and location) for my purposes.
3. How long will you be staying there?
Probably meant for people local to you, but I'll be at mine for a week.
4. If you plan to observe this event through some kind of apparatus, what gear do you anticipate using? Furthermore, what gear can you suggest on a tight budget, that beats a "shoe box and pinhole" projector? Special welding goggles, perhaps?

Feel free to offer additional ideas.
I'll be going all out, taking a couple of telescopes, but also:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eclipse+glasses&sprefix=eclipse%2Caps%2C150&crid=J5RTBLGPCFV0&tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTFQJAT/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DS7S52W/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The last one, I taped over a pair of binoculars and it works great.

Taped over?

Please elaborate - I have several pairs of binoculars...

Blank_Stare said:
Taped over?

Please elaborate - I have several pairs of binoculars...

Solar Binos.jpg

Likes hsdrop and Blank_Stare
what material is that?...duct tape?

Blank_Stare said:
what material is that?...duct tape?
Across the lenses? No, it's solar filter material, from the 3rd link I posted. It's like mylar (but isn't); you just cut it to the size you need and use electrical tape to attach it to the front of the binos.

in my amazon cart - thanks

Likes russ_watters
I'm in southern wisconsin. I'm planning on take my kid to southern Ill. for the event. I even have a small telescope I was thinking of bringing. I'm also thinking of using welding glass with a pair of binoculars.

I'm from Milwaukee. Going to drive to Kansas City, Mo, then on to Denver, Vegas and points west. if points west are still with us. (The "earthquakes happen during eclipses" thing)

There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in a gathering of folks from Physics Forums, in Makanda, but I figure as the time nears, I will "bump" this thread a couple of times, for those who come to the forums later, but do not read back through every thread they may have missed.

@hsdrop , where in Southern Ill.?

Likes russ_watters
Carbondale,ill or some place that is within a 50 mile east or west of their
I'm also thinking of camping out either the night before or the night after...but probably the night befor.
That will give me time to set thing up and not have to rush driving down the day of.

Last edited:
lol now looking at the map Makanda, Illinois would fit within the milage lol

I live right on the central path of the eclipse, but, am only revealing the location to lovely damsels [in distress], it's a matter of honor, chivalry and whatever thing.

I have been considering going back to the Carbondale area from here in California, but it would be a real bummer to get there and have the weather be cloudy. I was raised in a small town in the area named Crainville until I was 15. My last name is Crain and yes there is a connection. Could see some old friends and maybe enjoy a unique life-time experience together.
My other possibility is to fly my light plane (small 1946 model) up to Oregon where I have found a great looking airport right in the middle of the track as it comes onshore. Suspect weather would be even more iffy there because of being so close to the coast. All comes down to luck I guess.
DC

hsdrop said:
I'm also thinking of using welding glass with a pair of binoculars.
The optical quality of welding glass is similar to window glass. It wasn't meant for a magnified image. So your image will distort, similar to looking through a window with binoculars. The silver or black solar film will give a much better image.

Likes hsdrop
I am currently looking at the rest stop on M-57, just north of 146. This is very near Makanda, but not actually IN Makanda, where we might have difficulty finding an appropriate, and inexpensive location to gather. At the moment, it is not clear to me which side of the highway this rest stop is on - North bound or South bound, but at least this way, we do not have to rent a campground, or pay a park admission fee, and the location should be very easy for everyone to find. Also, I can't see authorities having a problem with us "resting" there for 4 or 5 hours, since that is the purpose of the facility.

On the other hand, if we had enough interest, and lead time, a campground or state park might be a better option. Since I don't have any definite answers, yet, however, I can't justify a more formal setting.

Other feedback and suggestions are welcome.

...edit:
Google maps satellite view indicates a rest area on both sides of the highway.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...7b42ad1c9b35aa!8m2!3d37.6175501!4d-89.2089717
However, the one on the North bound side (East/right side of the road in this picture) looks like it has better open areas, for setting up telescopes.

Last edited:
Likes hsdrop
You know, I have had the hole "paying for setting up in a park" thing in mind too. So I was looking for a spot that was free to set up and has a large open area as well. I found a small cemetery just outside of Makanda on Baptist Hill Road. With a big open area to set up telescopes and it only a few 100 feet away from the center line for the eclipse.
I have a small 4 1/2 telescope and I'm very much a beginner with it. I'm learning and would like to meet up with a small group that has more experience so me and my son can enjoy the event better.
Have a look guys and let me know what you'll think
2017 Eclipse
www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1vHDxzC1ILcXralfGJodlP_AcOks&hl=en_US&ll=37.61500172272905%2C-89.20361718035633&z=18

Likes Blank_Stare
There is also a nice little park right in side Makanda. That would be a good spot with lots of parking and a merry-go-round. lol
www.google.com/maps/place/Makanda+Creekside+Park/@37.6173293,-89.2098224,71m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc98d1bbefa898cdc!8m2!3d37.6173578!4d-89.2098024
I just called the Eclipse Kitchen in Makanda and asked if there was going to be anything going on in town at the park. The kitchen told me that there was nothing happening for the event in town so the park is open :partytime:

Last edited:
@hsdrop
I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that graveyards are "technically" private property. If that's true, they might not like us setting up for several hours or longer, even in the area with no headstones. My bigger concern is where we would park, if there were more than a few cars. However, I do like your "out of the box" thinking.

The park sounds like a great idea, as long as your contact in the kitchen is correct. In fact, it would be a lot better than all previous ideas, IMO.

But... Googling the words "eclipse makanda" brought up over 73,000 results, so clearly SOMEONE has plans in the tiny village of Makanda for the eclipse... Even the CBSNews website mentions Makanda, specifically. Here's the first handful of relevant listings from the search:

https://www.makandaeclipse2017.com/
http://villageofmakanda.com/eclipse.html
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/communities/states/MO/Makanda_186.htm
https://www.facebook.com/makandaeclipse2017/
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/makanda-illinois-prepares-for-total-solar-eclipse/

Now, having said that, I am NOT saying that the park is a bad idea - especially if we have a vanguard who can arrive earlier than folks like me, that have an 8-hour trip to get there. If we know that there will be a place for us, when we arrive, despite the publicity, I think a park setting would be far, far superior to sitting at a rest stop, alongside the freeway.

Would you be willing to set up at say 11am local time, to ensure that we have room?

Also, the park map doesn't seem to give an indication of what the park borders are. Do you have any idea how much parking is available there, or how many acres the park covers? I'm just trying to get some idea of how big the park is, since we have a couple of parks near me that are no bigger than a city building lot that you would build a house, or small strip mall on. My concern, of course, is competition for the real estate. Truth be told, we have that same concern at the rest stop, as well.

I suppose the worst case scenario is that we end up driving around looking for an open area somewhere. That's not a terrible thing, even if it would be inconvenient.

Keep those ideas coming!

Likes hsdrop
Ok, I'm going to drive down the day before stay the night camping in the woods. Then head out the afternoon next day after the eclipse happens. I like the idea of the little park right in the middle of the Makanda. looks like a lot of parking on either side of the street by the park and the train track. I can also get there in the a.m. just to hang out there at the pavilion and maybe grill a little as well. Just to hold space for whomever is going to be their. There is also a paved basketball court to set up on as well.
www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1vHDxzC1ILcXralfGJodlP_AcOks&hl=en_US&ll=37.6176171305554%2C-89.20923104390636&z=19
I also would like to come up with a backup plan just in case something stupid happens
On top of all that pray to the gods that we will have clear skies

If we all get lucky we'll get to be on the news

Likes Blank_Stare
@hsdrop
I prefer anonymity, so if the news shows up, I will be ducking from cameras. I have been active on the internet since 1992, and you still won't find my name, if you google me, unless you are willing to pay for a service that accesses government records. Even then, my foot print is nearly invisible. The last time I was in a newspaper was in the mid-70's, wearing a scout uniform. I prefer to keep it that way. (I don't even have an active facebook account.)

I have already started daily positive affirmations to the powers that be for a sunny day in Makanda on August 21st. Here's hoping! Considering that me and mine are looking at 16 hours on the road that day, I might have a hard time getting everyone here (5 of us) to attend, if it looks like we won't get to see the eclipse. Time will tell, I guess.

I think for the moment, the rest stop provides a suitable, though not ideal, back-up plan. I'm still open to other suggestions that are within, let's say, 30 minutes of the park in Makanda, Ill., and fall very close to the center line for totality.

That map, and the correlating satellite image are great, but do not show the park boundaries. I'm going to look around, and see if I can find something more specific, since it's not really clear to me what's public, and what's not. I expect it to be ideally suited to our event, but I don't like leaving anything to chance.

Let me be the first to thank you for volunteering to be the Vanguard for this event. Let me tell you that I know first hand how boring it can be to sit around a park, and wait for the first members of my group to arrive, to ensure that they have a spot when they do.
Tell me your favorite cold beverage, and I will be sure to arrive with one. :bow:

How many will be in your party? I'm trying to get a head-count as we go.

Anyone else thinking of joining us?

@hsdrop
So the head count is about 6 to 10 right now. Sounds like the beginning of a PARTY!

Looks like the distance from my house to this new location is nearly the same, so I have no complaint in that department. It also looks like it has a paved parking lot the size of a high school football field - also a good feature. Lots of open areas around the parking, and chances are that the water could provide some cool breezes, if it's a hot day - also a good feature.

Can we tell if it's just a public park, or if it is a county/state/federal camping grounds? The name may be misleading, and I don't really want to buy a park sticker for a 4 hour stay, if I can avoid it. (Although, I don't see any pavilions or other buildings, so I am inclined to think "local park".) One advantage Makanda has, is the pavilion, in case it's a blistering hot day. I have a pop-up shelter for hiding under, but it only accommodates 3 or 4 plastic chairs, comfortably. Another advantage it has is a restaurant "spitting distance" from the park.

Anyways, I'm not sure one is better than the other, at this point, so let's keep both on the list, shall we?

BTW... Hats off to you for your map searching skills. I find poring over the maps to be mind-numbingly boring. I am glad that you have been taking the initiative.

Likes hsdrop
LoL Thank you for the compliment. Mapping and spatial orientation has always been easy for me. I also like to plan ahead a little too. I also like the idea that if it gets too hot out, just jump in the lake or even bring fishing poles

hsdrop said:
I also like the idea that if it gets too hot out, just jump in the lake or even bring fishing poles
To quote Jeff Goldblum from multiple film clips, "Yes, yes..."

Likes hsdrop
Been almost two weeks - thought I'd bump this, and see if we can gain a few more attendees...

I'm thinking a cooler for picnic supplies, and a small charcoal grill. Does Illinois have any "Dry" Counties? I've run into that in Kentucky, and I don't want to run afoul of local law enforcement. Not that I'm a big drinker, but I think I might enjoy a beer or two for this event.

I have a rental car reserved for the event. My ride is getting a bit old to be making long trips in. My son will probably ride with my wife and I (He hasn't committed yet). My daughter and her husband (He hasn't committed yet, either,) will also attend, driving separately.

Add that to hsdrop's 3-5, and we have 6 to 10, ATM.

So how about it? - anyone else care to join us?

Likes hsdrop
OK, we'll have a compliment of 4 humans and one cute dog for the trip.

I've been reading, and I am getting more concerned that our "spot" might get over-run, with other folks having the same thoughts that we are about what a great spot it is. Seen any other spots that might be a reasonable back-up, beside the tiny park in Makanda? I'd hate to have to be packed like sardines to get a look at the event.

I am getting more serious about getting a hotel room, most of the way there, and then making a quick hop early morning, to beat the rush... I'll never convince the wife and kids to sleep in tents overnight.

**Fingers crossed for good weather**

Likes hsdrop
2 weeks until we ship out.
We're spending Saturday Night in Greenup, at a no-star Hotel (OK, maybe it was 3 stars, I forget...)
That will take some of the drive-time out of Sunday, allowing us to arrive less car-weary, and also to have a better drive home Sunday Afternoon.

Are we going for the Abandoned Road on the Riverside, or the Park in Makanda? I'm thinking the Park will be swarmed for sure, and I'm hoping riverside will be less so, but I have concerns. What time will you be arriving there, hsdrop?

Anyone else care to join us? The more the merrier!

Likes hsdrop
Blank_Stare said:
2 weeks until we ship out.
We're spending Saturday Night in Greenup, at a no-star Hotel (OK, maybe it was 3 stars, I forget...)
That will take some of the drive-time out of Sunday, allowing us to arrive less car-weary, and also to have a better drive home Sunday Afternoon.

Are we going for the Abandoned Road on the Riverside, or the Park in Makanda? I'm thinking the Park will be swarmed for sure, and I'm hoping riverside will be less so, but I have concerns. What time will you be arriving there, hsdrop?

Anyone else care to join us? The more the merrier!
lol to tell you the truth I'm not sure but some time in the a.m. like 10am I'm thinking. Just going to play it by ear and yes I'm thinking the lake might be better for not having a ton of people around. That way one can relax and enjoy the event with little to no distractions. My boy and i will be camping out in the middle of the woods where ever we can find a spot to set up at. We might even set up at the lake where we are thinking of meeting up at. What kind of equipment are you thinking of bringing with for viewing the event?? I'm planning on bringing my 4 1/2 in telescope with many attachments with it cameras, webcams, and laptops to record everything. Throw i would like someone with more experience to give me some pointers to get the best viewing of the event i can with the equipment i have.

Please if anyone will be in the area don't be shy and come and joine us

hsdrop said:
What kind of equipment are you thinking of bringing with for viewing the event??

Binoculars with Solar filter, and individual solar glasses I picked up on Amazon. Also a cheap telescope that was probably bought at K-Mart in the 80's.

hsdrop said:
I'm planning on bringing my 4 1/2 in telescope with many attachments with it cameras, webcams, and laptops to record everything. Throw i would like someone with more experience to give me some pointers to get the best viewing of the event i can with the equipment i have.

Don't loo at me, I'll be lucky if I can get the telescope focused during the event - LOL!

Likes hsdrop
Blank_Stare said:
Binoculars with Solar filter, and individual solar glasses I picked up on Amazon. Also a cheap telescope that was probably bought at K-Mart in the 80's.
hmmmmm i think mine is a little better but probably not by much lol
I will be willing to share what little bit of knowledge i have picked up from my scope useage

Just as an F.Y.I guys. I also want everyone to keep in mind. If the weather looks in anyway to be cloudy. I will be moving my spot to set up at to the closest clear skies for the best viewing possible. I will keep everyone that plans to meet up in the loop with the cloud cover and meeting place.

hsdrop said:
Just as an F.Y.I guys. I also want everyone to keep in mind. If the weather looks in anyway to be cloudy. I will be moving my spot to set up at to the closest clear skies for the best viewing possible. I will keep everyone that plans to meet up in the loop with the cloud cover and meeting place.
Yeah, "Best laid plans of mice and men", right?

Likes hsdrop
Likes DennisN
<h2>What is a solar eclipse?</h2><p>A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the earth.</p><h2>When and where will the next solar eclipse occur in the United States?</h2><p>The next solar eclipse visible in the United States will occur on April 8, 2024. It will be visible from Texas to Maine, passing through states such as Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York, and Vermont.</p><h2>Why is Makanda, Illinois a popular destination for the solar eclipse?</h2><p>Makanda, Illinois is located in the "path of totality" for the 2024 solar eclipse, meaning it will experience the maximum duration of darkness during the eclipse. It is also known for its scenic views and welcoming community.</p><h2>What is a "solar con" and how is it related to the eclipse road trip to Makanda, Illinois?</h2><p>A "solar con" is a gathering of people who are interested in viewing the solar eclipse and learning more about it. The eclipse road trip to Makanda, Illinois is a popular event for people to attend the solar con and experience the eclipse in a unique location.</p><h2>What precautions should I take when viewing a solar eclipse?</h2><p>It is important to wear proper eye protection when viewing a solar eclipse. Regular sunglasses are not sufficient and can cause permanent eye damage. It is also recommended to use a solar filter on cameras and telescopes. Additionally, do not look directly at the sun without proper protection, and do not use homemade filters or look through unfiltered cameras, binoculars, or telescopes.</p>

What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the earth, blocking the sun's light and casting a shadow on the earth.

When and where will the next solar eclipse occur in the United States?

The next solar eclipse visible in the United States will occur on April 8, 2024. It will be visible from Texas to Maine, passing through states such as Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, New York, and Vermont.

Why is Makanda, Illinois a popular destination for the solar eclipse?

Makanda, Illinois is located in the "path of totality" for the 2024 solar eclipse, meaning it will experience the maximum duration of darkness during the eclipse. It is also known for its scenic views and welcoming community.

What is a "solar con" and how is it related to the eclipse road trip to Makanda, Illinois?

A "solar con" is a gathering of people who are interested in viewing the solar eclipse and learning more about it. The eclipse road trip to Makanda, Illinois is a popular event for people to attend the solar con and experience the eclipse in a unique location.

What precautions should I take when viewing a solar eclipse?

It is important to wear proper eye protection when viewing a solar eclipse. Regular sunglasses are not sufficient and can cause permanent eye damage. It is also recommended to use a solar filter on cameras and telescopes. Additionally, do not look directly at the sun without proper protection, and do not use homemade filters or look through unfiltered cameras, binoculars, or telescopes.