Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Solar Con? Eclipse road trip to Makanda Illinois

1. May 17, 2017 #1
    MODERATOR: If this is the wrong place for this thread, please feel free to scootch me over where I belong.
    Thank you.

I think I may be heading to Makanda Illinois, on August 8th, for the Eclipse. (Where I live in Michigan, it will only be about 80% - I want the full effect...) In all likelihood, considering my age, and how mobile I may be by the next time there is a full eclipse in the US, I have decided I don't want to miss it.

Here are some questions for the group:

1. Is anyone else heading to the same general vicinity? If so, is it worth considering a gathering? I'd love to meet some of you in person.

2. What specific city/town/park/campground are you visiting? Why that one in particular?

3. How long will you be staying there?

4. If you plan to observe this event through some kind of apparatus, what gear do you anticipate using? Furthermore, what gear can you suggest on a tight budget, that beats a "shoe box and pinhole" projector? Special welding goggles, perhaps?

Feel free to offer additional ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

We do have a thread on this, but it has fallen down and yours is tightly focused, so it is fine. Here's that thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/u-s-solar-eclipse-of-aug-21-2017.866521/page-4#post-5686922

Anyway:
    I'll let you check the thread and others can reply, but I'll be traveling to Charleston, SC for it. The reason is a group of friends and I take a trip to the beach every year(recently, Outer Banks, NC) and I hijacked it this year (date and location) for my purposes.
    Probably meant for people local to you, but I'll be at mine for a week.
    I'll be going all out, taking a couple of telescopes, but also:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ses&sprefix=eclipse,aps,150&crid=J5RTBLGPCFV0
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTFQJAT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Filter-Telescopes-Binoculars-Cameras/dp/B00DS7S52W

The last one, I taped over a pair of binoculars and it works great.

4. May 18, 2017 #3
    Taped over?

Please elaborate - I have several pairs of binoculars....

5. May 18, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Solar Binos.jpg

6. May 18, 2017 #5
    what material is that?...duct tape?

7. May 18, 2017 #6

russ_watters

Across the lenses? No, it's solar filter material, from the 3rd link I posted. It's like mylar (but isn't); you just cut it to the size you need and use electrical tape to attach it to the front of the binos.

8. May 18, 2017 #7
    in my amazon cart - thanks

9. May 19, 2017 at 7:21 AM #8
    I'm in southern wisconsin. I'm planning on take my kid to southern Ill. for the event. I even have a small telescope I was thinking of bringing. I'm also thinking of using welding glass with a pair of binoculars.

10. May 19, 2017 at 8:47 AM #9
    I'm from Milwaukee. Going to drive to Kansas City, Mo, then on to Denver, Vegas and points west. if points west are still with us. (The "earthquakes happen during eclipses" thing)

11. May 23, 2017 at 12:53 PM #10
    I made a typo in my initial post here, and it's too late for me to correct it.

The date of the eclipse is the 21st, NOT the 8th.

If a moderator could fix that for me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted