Can a metal mirror reflect sunlight to melt ice on a north-facing wall?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ANG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Solar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
ANG
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a northerly wall on my house that doesn't get any sunlight to speak of.
In the winter, sidewalk ice can last for months and the downspouts freeze. The sun really helps out in clearing the ice, even in the coldest weather.

Is it possible to use a metal mirror, mounted on a telephone pole about 40 feet away, to reflect some heat into the area?
Security mirrors are typically convex, so I don't think they would work.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen that some solar heat panels track the sun, but I'm looking for something cheaper.