Solenoid Magnetic Field wire spacing Help

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnetic field strength inside a solenoid with a given length and diameter of copper wire and a power supply capable of passing a certain current. After calculating the number of turns of the wire, the correct answer should be 0.00408T. However, the issue may lie in the calculation of the number of turns, which was based on the diameter of the wire.
pat666

Homework Statement

You have 12m of 0.50mm diameter copper wire and a power supply capable of passing 17A through the wire.
What magnetic field strength would you obtain inside a 2.0cm diameter solenoid with the wire spaced as closely as possible?

Homework Equations

B=u0nI

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the number of loops by
D=.002+2*1*10-3m (diametre plus 2 radi of wire)?
then n=12/circumfrence =173.6turns (C=pi*D
then I subbed all the values and got 0.0037T which is wrong
all help appreciated - I think my problem is in calculating the number of turns??

Physics news on Phys.org
The diameter of the wire will effect the pitch (loop density) of the coil, but not the total number of loops. I take it you have the answer to the problem?

Last edited:
Hey, its for an online mastering physics test - - - - using D as .02m I get .00408T but I didnt use the radius at all so I think it may be wrong?

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that produces a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is typically used in electromagnets and electronic devices.

What is the purpose of a solenoid in a magnetic field?

The purpose of a solenoid in a magnetic field is to create a strong, uniform magnetic field for various applications such as controlling electrical devices, measuring currents, and generating forces.

How does wire spacing affect the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The spacing between the wires of a solenoid affects the strength of its magnetic field. A smaller spacing results in a stronger magnetic field, while a larger spacing results in a weaker magnetic field.

What is the optimal wire spacing for a solenoid's magnetic field?

The optimal wire spacing for a solenoid's magnetic field depends on the specific application. In general, a smaller spacing will produce a stronger magnetic field, but it may also lead to overheating and other issues if the current is too high. It is best to consult a professional for the appropriate wire spacing for your specific needs.

What are some common ways to calculate the magnetic field of a solenoid with varying wire spacing?

There are several equations and formulas that can be used to calculate the magnetic field of a solenoid with varying wire spacing, such as Ampere's law, the Biot-Savart law, and the solenoid magnetic field equation. These can be found in many physics and engineering textbooks or online resources.