1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid Insulator Sphere Inside Hollow Sphere Conductor

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was looking for some practice problems in my textbook and found this problem that I was just a little stuck on. I drew the diagram from my textbook with the givens of the problem.

Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 10.14.00 AM.png
    2. Relevant equations
    ∲E*dA = Q (inside) / ɛ0

3. The attempt at a solution

For r less than/equal to a:

E(4pir^2) = 3Q/ɛ ---> E = 3Q / 4*pi*ɛ(r^2)

For a<r<b:

E= -5Q/ (4*pi*r^2)

Can somebody verify with me that I've done the first two above correctly?

Also the part that I got stuck on was the r is greater than/equal to c...
    I see that if r was equal to c there would be no charge, hence e-field will be zero inside the conductor. However, when r is greater than c, then there would be a charge of -5Q. How would I usually deal with the case of "greater than/equal to"?

Thank you Physics community!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The 3Q are distributed over the whole sphere, they are not all at the center ("inside").
    I don't see why you use -5Q here.

Not only the -5Q.
    Ignore the case of r exactly equal to c, that does not have a reasonable answer in this simplified model.

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3

Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 6.25.50 PM.png

Sorry this was the actually image from the textbook I was working on. There was a Q in the middle, but the statement of the problem still applies.

So for r is less than/equal to a, I would draw a gaussian surface at r=a and one for r<a. I notice that at r=a, the only charge enclose in the middle of the insulator is the whole +3Q and +Q. But for the r<a, the only charge inside is the +Q. Is that correct?

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4
    Hi welcome to PF:smile:

No,for r<a the charge inside is not just +Q.As it is a insulating solid sphere the charge +3Q is distributed uniformly over its total volume.So for exampleif you are considering a Gaussian surface of radius a/2 then you also have to consider the portion of +3Q distributed in the volume inside the Gaussian surface!

6. Feb 27, 2015 #5
    ah I see...so in that case to find Q inside , it would be Q= (4/3*pi*r^2 / 4/3*pi*a^2) * Q => Qinside = (r^2/a^2)*Q?

7. Feb 28, 2015 #6

8. Feb 28, 2015 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

r and a should be to the third power. You have volumes here, not surfaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted