Solid Insulator Sphere Inside Hollow Sphere Conductor

In summary: Thanks for the clarification.In summary, the problem asks for the charge enclosed in a sphere of radius a when r is less than a. The charge is distributed uniformly over the sphere's total volume.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

I was looking for some practice problems in my textbook and found this problem that I was just a little stuck on. I drew the diagram from my textbook with the givens of the problem.

Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 10.14.00 AM.png

Homework Equations

∲E*dA = Q (inside) / ɛ0

The Attempt at a Solution

For r less than/equal to a:

E(4pir^2) = 3Q/ɛ ---> E = 3Q / 4*pi*ɛ(r^2)

For a<r<b:

E= -5Q/ (4*pi*r^2)

Can somebody verify with me that I've done the first two above correctly?

Also the part that I got stuck on was the r is greater than/equal to c...
I see that if r was equal to c there would be no charge, hence e-field will be zero inside the conductor. However, when r is greater than c, then there would be a charge of -5Q. How would I usually deal with the case of "greater than/equal to"?

Thank you Physics community!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aristotle said:
For r less than/equal to a:
The 3Q are distributed over the whole sphere, they are not all at the center ("inside").
Aristotle said:
For a<r<b:
I don't see why you use -5Q here.

Aristotle said:
However, when r is greater than c, then there would be a charge of -5Q.
Not only the -5Q.
Ignore the case of r exactly equal to c, that does not have a reasonable answer in this simplified model.

mfb said:
The 3Q are distributed over the whole sphere, they are not all at the center ("inside").
I don't see why you use -5Q here.

Not only the -5Q.
Ignore the case of r exactly equal to c, that does not have a reasonable answer in this simplified model.
Screen shot 2015-02-27 at 6.25.50 PM.png

Sorry this was the actually image from the textbook I was working on. There was a Q in the middle, but the statement of the problem still applies.

So for r is less than/equal to a, I would draw a gaussian surface at r=a and one for r<a. I notice that at r=a, the only charge enclose in the middle of the insulator is the whole +3Q and +Q. But for the r<a, the only charge inside is the +Q. Is that correct?

Hi welcome to PF:smile:

Aristotle said:
View attachment 79694

But for the r<a, the only charge inside is the +Q. Is that correct?

No,for r<a the charge inside is not just +Q.As it is a insulating solid sphere the charge +3Q is distributed uniformly over its total volume.So for exampleif you are considering a Gaussian surface of radius a/2 then you also have to consider the portion of +3Q distributed in the volume inside the Gaussian surface!

Mind_It said:
Hi welcome to PF:smile:
No,for r<a the charge inside is not just +Q.As it is a insulating solid sphere the charge +3Q is distributed uniformly over its total volume.So for exampleif you are considering a Gaussian surface of radius a/2 then you also have to consider the portion of +3Q distributed in the volume inside the Gaussian surface!
ah I see...so in that case to find Q inside , it would be Q= (4/3*pi*r^2 / 4/3*pi*a^2) * Q => Qinside = (r^2/a^2)*Q?

Aristotle said:
ah I see...so in that case to find Q inside , it would be Q= (4/3*pi*r^2 / 4/3*pi*a^2) * Q => Qinside = (r^2/a^2)*Q?

r and a should be to the third power. You have volumes here, not surfaces.

1. What is a solid insulator sphere inside a hollow sphere conductor?

A solid insulator sphere inside a hollow sphere conductor is a physical system where a spherical object made of insulating material is placed inside a larger hollow sphere made of conducting material. This creates a space between the two spheres that can be used to store and manipulate electrical charges.

2. What is the purpose of a solid insulator sphere inside a hollow sphere conductor?

The purpose of this system is to create a capacitor, which is a device that can store electrical energy in the form of electric charge. The insulating material of the inner sphere prevents the charges from escaping, while the conducting material of the outer sphere allows for the easy flow of charges.

3. How does the distance between the two spheres affect the capacitance?

The capacitance of this system is directly proportional to the distance between the two spheres. As the distance increases, the capacitance decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger distance means a smaller electric field, which results in less charge being stored.

4. How is the capacitance of this system calculated?

The capacitance of this system can be calculated using the formula C = 4πε₀εᵣr, where C is the capacitance, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, εᵣ is the relative permittivity of the insulating material, and r is the distance between the two spheres.

5. What are some real-world applications of a solid insulator sphere inside a hollow sphere conductor?

This system has various practical applications, including in electronic devices such as capacitors, sensors, and filters. It is also used in high voltage power lines and particle accelerators. Additionally, it can be used in research and experiments to study the behavior of electric charges and electric fields.