Solid of revolution -- General question

• Thread starter 0kelvin
  • Start date
There are two ways to revolve, around Y or X and the formulas are different.

If I have something bounded by $$f(x) = x^2 + 1$$. I can write $$x = \sqrt{y - 1}$$. But, is it wrong to swap axis to show that I'm integrating dy, not dx?

Answers and Replies

The boundaries matter, and different integration directions lead to different formulas (but the same result).

Consider a simpler two-dimensional example. What is the area between your f(x), the x and y axis and x=1? Well, it is ##\int_0^1 f(x) dx = \frac{3}{2}##. What if we want to integrate over y? f(x) changes from 1 to 2 but our area starts at y=0, so we set up ##\int_0^2 ? dy##. The function we need to integrate over is the length between (f(x) OR x=0) and x=1 in the horizontal axis, the length is 1 for y<1 and ##1-x(y) = 1-\sqrt{y-1}## for y between 1 and 2. To avoid using a case structure let's split the integral in two parts: ##\int_0^1 1 dy + \int_1^2 (1-\sqrt{y-1}) dy##. If you calculate that you should get the same result as before, ##1+\frac 1 2 = \frac 3 2## - but it was way more messy.

The same applies to the solids of revolution. You can integrate over the volume in any order you want, but some are more convenient.