Solubility Combining Ionic Equations,

In summary, the conversation discusses equilibria involving silver and chloride ions at a temperature of 26°C. The equilibrium constants, K1 and K2, are given for the reactions involving the dissolution and precipitation of silver chloride. The question asks to calculate the concentration of silver chloride in equilibrium with excess solid silver chloride, by first determining K3 and using the equilibrium constant expression. The correct formula for K3 is K1*K2, and the concentration of AgCl(aq) is calculated to be 3.8E-8 mol/L.
Maharg

Homework Statement

Consider the following equilibria at T = 26 0C, in which all ions are aqueous:
Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) ----> AgCl(aq) K1 = 2.0E2
AgCl(s) ----> Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) K2 = 1.9E-10

Consider the reaction
AgCl(s) ----> AgCl(aq)

and calculate the concentration of AgCl(aq) in equilibrium with excess undissolved solid AgCl(s).

Hint: calculate K3 first and use the equilibration constant expression to find the concentration of AgCl(aq).

Homework Equations

Ksp = [AgCl] I thinK?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think I'm on the right track but missing something

To get k3 is just combining k1 and k2, Since they easily cancel out to make AgCl(s) -> AgCl (aq), I think k3 is just 200 + 1.9E-10 = 200

k3 = 200? That seems odd but then even if that is true I'm not sure which is next as with solubility I've always had problems where it is Ksp=[A], but this one is just Ksp=[A] as solids wouldn't count right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maharg said:

Homework Equations

Ksp = [AgCl] I thinK?

No. First, try to write corect formulas for both Kso and complex formation. Just as if there were no other reactions.

Oh I was thinking about it wrong.

Is this correct?

Ag+ + Cl- -> AgCl(aq) k1 = [AgCl]/[Ag+][Cl-]= 2E2
AgCl(s) -> Ag+ + Cl- k2 = [Ag+][Cl-] = 1.9E-10

K3 = k1 k2 = [AgCl(aq)] = 3.8E-8

AgCl(aq) = 3.8E-8 mol/L ?

The last part is only thing I'm not sure about.

Last edited:
Kso*Kf, looks OK to me.

Yes thank you it was right. I appreciate the help.

What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in a solvent to form a homogeneous solution.

What are ionic equations?

Ionic equations are chemical equations that only show the ions involved in a reaction, rather than the full molecular formulas of the reactants and products.

What does it mean to combine ionic equations?

Combining ionic equations involves adding two or more individual ionic equations together to create a net ionic equation, which shows the overall reaction and the ions involved.

Why is it important to consider solubility when combining ionic equations?

Solubility is important to consider because it determines which ions will remain in solution and which will form insoluble precipitates. This affects the overall reaction and the net ionic equation.

What factors can affect solubility?

The temperature, pressure, and pH of the solution, as well as the chemical properties of the solute and solvent, can all affect the solubility of a substance.