Calucating the solubility product of Silver Chloride

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
aati2sh
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A sample of AgCl was treated with 5ml of 2M Na2CO3 solution to produce Ag2CO3. The remaining solution contained 0.003 g of Cl- per litre. Calculate the solubility product of AgCl.(Ksp of Ag2CO3 = 8.2 ×10-12)

Homework Equations


ksp of AgCl = [Ag+]×[Cl-]
ksp of Ag2CO3 = [2Ag+]2×[CO3--]

The Attempt at a Solution



I couldn't think of any idea. So, entered this forum. Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you calculate concentration of Cl-?

There was a huge excess of carbonate. Did it concentration change much?
 
Yes. I calculated the concentration by dividing gm/litre by 35.5 to give molarity. But, I don't know where to go beyond.
 
Try to describe what is happening in the solution when the carbonate is added.
 
I tried this:
Ksp of Ag2CO3 = [2xSolub.]2x[Solub.]
=> Solubility = 1.270334x10-4 = [Ag+]
Now,
[Cl-]=0.003/35.5 M = 8.45 x 10-5
Ksp of AgCl = 1.270334x10-4 x 8.45 x 10-5 = 1.073 X 10-8.

Why was concentration and volume of Na2CO3 was given if this is correct?