Solubility of compound in solutions other than Water

In summary, the conversation discusses solubility rules and how some substances are slightly soluble in water but not in other solvents such as HCl or ammonia solution. The examples given involve barium compounds and silver salts, which can form coordination complexes with ammonia and dissolve, while other compounds such as BaSO4 do not react with the solvent. The speaker is seeking help in understanding how to approach these types of problems involving solvents other than water.
djdevine19
So I'm studying solubility rules and such in chemistry and everything is fine and dandy except when the solution is something other than water. Here's 2 examples that my teacher gave us that I have no idea how to do:

BaCO3, BaSO3 and BaSO4 are all slightly soluble in water. The first 2 dissolve in HCl but BaSO4 doesn't. Why?

AgCl, Hg2Cl2 and PbCl2 are all slightly soluble in water. But AgCl dissolves in ammonia solution while the other 2 dont. Why?

I understand the fact that all of these are slightly soluble in water from the solubility rules. I'm just not clear about how to approach these problems involving a solvent other than water.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
David

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You have not really discussed solvents other than water. Your HCl and your ammonia, seem assumed to be in aqueous solution (meaning in water).

Barium carbonate does not quite dissolve in HCl solution; it decomposes, liberating carbon dioxide and forming Barium Chloride. I'm not sure about the sulfite - maybe something similar, liberating sulfur dioxide?

Silver salts may dissolve in ammonium hydroxide solution because the Ag+ forms coordination complexes with ammonia, and the complex is solube. The mercury and the lead also form coordination complexes with ammonia.

actually BaCO3 and BaSO3 react with the acid, to give CO2 and SO2 respectively. BaSO4 doesn't react. You may think of it like H2SO4 is a stronger acid than HCl, hence the HCl cannot displace the SO42-.

and i agree with symbolipoint about the complexes.

1. What is solubility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in a liquid, known as the solvent, to form a homogenous mixture.

2. How does the solubility of a compound in solutions other than water differ from its solubility in water?

The solubility of a compound in solutions other than water can differ due to the different chemical properties of the solvent. For example, polar compounds may be more soluble in polar solvents, while nonpolar compounds may be more soluble in nonpolar solvents.

3. What factors affect the solubility of a compound in solutions other than water?

The factors that affect solubility in solutions other than water include the polarity of the solvent, temperature, pressure, and the chemical structure of the solute and solvent.

4. How is the solubility of a compound determined in solutions other than water?

The solubility of a compound in solutions other than water can be determined through experiments, such as using a solubility chart or conducting a solubility test. The chemical properties of the solute and solvent can also give an indication of its solubility.

5. Can a compound be soluble in one solution but insoluble in another?

Yes, a compound can have different solubility in different solutions. This is because the chemical properties of the solvent can greatly affect the solubility of a compound. For example, a compound may be soluble in a polar solvent but insoluble in a nonpolar solvent.