Solubility of several substances

• Thread starter chemist2b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solubility
In summary, the compounds Na2Cr2O7 and (NH4)2Cr2O7 are soluble in water, but PbCr2O7 is not. The compound CuI2 does not exist, so it is hard to determine its solubility. It is neither a no reaction nor a double replacement, and some googling can help confirm this. CuI2 is often listed as slightly soluble, but it may actually be insoluble. It is possible that the solubility rule for iodides is being disproved in this case due to the presence of copper, which can oxidize iodides and form CuI.
chemist2b
are these soluble in water?

Na2Cr2O7 (i think yes)

(NH4)2Cr2O7 (i think yes)

PbCr2O7 (i think no)

CuI2 (no? whay is this disproving by rule that iodides and chlorides are soluble in water except for heavy metals?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe copper is a heavy metal?

chemist2b said:
CuI2 (no? whay is this disproving by rule that iodides and chlorides are soluble in water except for heavy metals?)

There is no such compound, so it is hard to say if it is soluble.

This is a very specific case.

so this was the equation i was given: KI + CuSO4---> something

i assumed it was k2S04 and CuI2

this is supposed to be either no reaction or double repleacement

maybe having the whole equatoin helps?

but the other three were correct, right?

chemist2b said:
this is supposed to be either no reaction or double repleacement

Actually it is neither. And it is really not that difficult to check, some googling should help you quite fast.

but the other three were correct, right?

Yes.

so if i cancel out spectators, it is a synthesis reaction (most sites agree that cuI2 is insoluble in water)

Cu +2 (aq) + 2I -1(aq) ---> CuI2 (s)

what i don't understand is why it is disproving my solubility rule (iodides are insoluble except for heavy metals, and copper isn't a heavy metal).

ps. you can be awful at googling. if i was good at it i would probably not have to ask these questions here.
:(

Show me one site that lists CuI2 as insoluble.

hte site of the sheet that my teacher gave me. it says "ss" for slightly soluble which he told us to assume meant insoluble. but i gues the chart isn't that reliable. because llokibng now at the other ones i see mostly blanks but one or two say soluble. thanks...

chemist2b said:
hte site of the sheet that my teacher gave me. it says "ss" for slightly soluble which he told us to assume meant insoluble. but i gues the chart isn't that reliable. because llokibng now at the other ones i see mostly blanks but one or two say soluble. thanks...

Are you sure it shows solubility of copper(II) iodide and not solubility of copper(I) iodide?

In water solutions in the presence of iodides copper(II) oxidizes iodides to iodine and gets reduced to copper(I), this is followed by copper(I) iodide precipitation. CuI is weakly soluble, CuI2 doesn't exist.

What is solubility?

Solubility is the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent at a given temperature and pressure.

How is solubility measured?

Solubility is typically measured in units of grams of solute per 100 grams of solvent, or in moles of solute per liter of solution.

What factors affect the solubility of a substance?

The solubility of a substance can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the properties of the solvent and solute, such as polarity and molecular structure.

What is the difference between a saturated and unsaturated solution?

A saturated solution is one in which the maximum amount of solute has been dissolved in a given amount of solvent at a given temperature. An unsaturated solution has not yet reached its maximum solubility and can dissolve more solute.

How can the solubility of a substance be increased?

The solubility of a substance can be increased by increasing the temperature, increasing the pressure (for gases), or choosing a solvent with similar properties to the solute.