Solution theories (Kirkwood-Buff to RISM and beyond)

In summary, the conversation was about finding a resource for learning about the history of solution theories, specifically in regards to the physics and thermodynamics of liquid molecules. The suggestion was made to consult textbooks for further reading recommendations.
Roark
I am looking for something to read about the history of solution theories. Is there a good article or book that you may recommend?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Roark said:
I am looking for something to read about the history of solution theories. Is there a good article or book that you may recommend?
What's a solution theory?

berkeman said:
What's a solution theory?

I think I could have phrased it better.

I am looking to get a comprehensive background in the theories of liquids - the physics and the thermodynamics of how liquid molecules behave.

Most thermodynamics textbooks will list sources and further reading suggestions for all subjects discussed - have you tried to follow the leads?

I have not, I'll give that an attempt.

1. What is the Kirkwood-Buff theory?

The Kirkwood-Buff theory is a solution theory that describes the thermodynamic properties of mixtures and solutions. It is based on the concept of excess entropy, which quantifies the deviation from ideal behavior in mixtures, and can be used to predict phase equilibria and solvation properties.

2. How does the Kirkwood-Buff theory differ from the RISM theory?

The main difference between the Kirkwood-Buff theory and the Reference Interaction Site Model (RISM) theory is that the former considers only pairwise interactions between molecules, while the latter takes into account the entire molecular environment. This makes RISM a more accurate and versatile approach for studying non-ideal solutions.

3. What is the significance of the Kirkwood-Buff factor?

The Kirkwood-Buff factor is a dimensionless quantity that represents the excess entropy of mixing in a solution. It is a measure of the non-ideality of the solution and can be used to compare the relative strengths of different types of intermolecular interactions.

4. How has the Kirkwood-Buff theory evolved over time?

Since its development in the 1950s, the Kirkwood-Buff theory has undergone several modifications and extensions. This includes the integration of higher order terms to account for multi-body interactions, as well as the incorporation of quantum mechanical effects. More recently, efforts have been made to combine the Kirkwood-Buff theory with other solution theories, such as the RISM theory, to improve its accuracy and applicability.

5. What are some current applications of solution theories like Kirkwood-Buff and RISM?

Solution theories like Kirkwood-Buff and RISM have a wide range of applications in fields such as physical chemistry, biophysics, and materials science. They are commonly used to study phase equilibria, solvation properties, and molecular recognition in complex mixtures and solutions. They also play a crucial role in the development of new materials and drug design.