Solution to Quartic Equation with small first coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for solving a depressed quartic equation by expanding around the solution to the quadratic. This approach may generate four solutions, but it is suggested that all solutions will be closer to the exact solutions than the initial quadratic solutions. However, this may not be the case for small values of a. It is also mentioned that using Newton's method with the initial guess x0 may be a simpler and faster approach.
andert
I want to solve a depressed quartic:

[tex]ax^4 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0[/tex]

Assume [tex]|a|\ll |b|,|c|,|d|[/tex].

I would like to find the solutions by expanding around the solution to the quadratic. If you try to solve in, say, Maple, and expand around a in a series you get something that blows up. That seems silly to me, why would the solution blow up as [tex]a\rightarrow 0[/tex]. Only because the solution method assumed a was not zero. Clearly, if you plotted it on the complex plane, the quartic solutions must approach the quadratic. Anyway, so my idea was to solve the quadratic equation

[tex]bx^2+cx+d=0[/tex] to get

[tex]x_0 = \frac{-c\pm\sqrt{c^2-4bd}}{2b}[/tex]

Then insert [tex]x_0[/tex] into the quartic part like so,

[tex]ax_0^4 + bx^2+cx+d = 0[/tex]

Then solve this quadratic to get,

[tex]x_1 = \frac{-c\pm\sqrt{c^2-4b(d+ax_0^4)}}{2b}[/tex].

Does anyone see a problem with this approach (assuming I just want some sort of approximation)?

Secondly, this question just occurred to me: I see this generates 4 solutions, but will all solutions be closer to the exact solutions than the initial quadratic solutions are?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Small a will lead to two large solutions, which you do not catch with that approach. The solutions you can get are close to the solutions for a=0. If a is small enough and the other coefficients are not special in some way, I would expect that the last recursion relation converges.

mfb said:
Small a will lead to two large solutions, which you do not catch with that approach. The solutions you can get are close to the solutions for a=0. If a is small enough and the other coefficients are not special in some way, I would expect that the last recursion relation converges.

Yes, I just thought of that too. The quartic solution x would be proportional to 1/a^(1/4) unfortunately, so that term would not be "small" after all.

Take this special case though: I'm only interested in the cases where a>0, b>0, c real, and d< 0. There should be (by Descartes rule of signs) two real solutions. When I plot the graph, the solutions of the quartic appear to converge to the quadratic solutions. So it appears that my recursion would be valid in that case. [No proof yet though.]

With a>0, b>0, d<0 and c not too large, the two "large" solutions are imaginary, as they lie in the region where bx^2+cx+d is positive.

Why not just use Newton's method with x0 as an initial guess? This is easy to set up, and should converge rapidly.

What is a quartic equation?

A quartic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e = 0, where a is the highest degree coefficient and is typically non-zero.

What is the solution to a quartic equation with a small first coefficient?

The solution to a quartic equation with a small first coefficient can be found using the Ferrari's method, which involves finding the roots of a related cubic equation.

How many solutions can a quartic equation have?

A quartic equation can have up to four complex solutions, but it is also possible for it to have fewer solutions or no solutions at all.

What is the significance of the first coefficient in a quartic equation?

The first coefficient in a quartic equation, also known as the leading coefficient, determines the overall shape of the curve and can indicate the number of real solutions the equation may have. A small first coefficient may make it easier to find the solutions using certain methods.

What are some real-life applications of quartic equations?

Quartic equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model various phenomena such as projectile motion, electric fields, and the behavior of vibrating systems. They are also used in economics and finance to analyze supply and demand, and in genetics to study population growth.