Solution to the Dirac equation

In summary, the spinor w(p) with arbitrary p can be obtained by multiplying the restframe spinor u_{\beta}(m,\vec{0}) by (\frac{1}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}}).
klabautermann
Hello!

I have a question regarding the construction of solutions to the Diracequation for generell [itex] \vec{p} [/itex]. In my lecturenotes (and also in Itzykson/Zuber) it is stated that it is easier than boosting the restframe-solutions, to construct them by using [tex] (\gamma^{\mu}p_{\mu}+m)(\gamma^{\nu}p_{\nu}-m)=0 [/tex] But how does that help me? Why do I get the appropriate solution if I operate on the restfram-solution with the Diracoperator: [tex] u^{\alpha}(p)=\frac{1}{N}(\gamma^{\mu}p_{\mu}+m)u^{\alpha}(m,\vec{0})[/tex]
Where [tex]
u^{1}(m,\vec{0})=\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\\0\\0\end{array}\right) [/tex] and
[tex] u^{2}(m,\vec{0})=\left(\begin{array}{c}0\\1\\0\\0\end{array}\right) [/tex]

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-21_11-31-34.png
    upload_2017-3-21_11-31-34.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]w(p)[/itex] be an arbitrary 4-component spinor. Now, using the dispersion relation [itex](p\!\!\!/ - m)(p\!\!\!/ + m) = 0[/itex] , you can easily show that [tex]u(p) = (p\!\!\!/ + m)w(p) ,[/tex] is a solution to the Dirac equation [itex](p\!\!\!/ - m)u(p) = 0[/itex] . Now take [tex]w(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}} u^{(\alpha)}(m,\vec{0}) \equiv \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}} \begin{pmatrix} \chi^{(\alpha)} \\ 0_{2} \end{pmatrix} ,[/tex] where [itex]\chi^{(1)} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex], [itex]\chi^{(2)} = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}[/itex] and [itex]0_{2} = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. So, you have the following solutions [tex]u^{(\alpha)}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}} \left( p\!\!\!/ + m \right) \begin{pmatrix} \chi^{(\alpha)} \\ 0_{2} \end{pmatrix} . \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex] In the Dirac representation, you have [tex]p\!\!\!/ + m = E \gamma^{0} - \vec{p} \cdot \vec{\gamma} + m I_{4} = \begin{pmatrix} (E+m)I_{2} & - \vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma} \\ \vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma} & - (E+m)I_{2} \end{pmatrix} .[/tex] Substituting this in (1) and doing the matrix multiplication, we get [tex]u^{(\alpha)}(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}} \begin{pmatrix} (E+m)\chi^{(\alpha)} \\ (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) \chi^{(\alpha)} \end{pmatrix} .[/tex]

Likes vanhees71, odietrich and bhobba
Thank you for your reply. But why can you assume that by mutliplying the restframe spinor by [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}} [/tex] gives you a spinor w(p) with arbitrary p?

klabautermann said:
you assume that by mutliplying the restframe spinor by [tex] \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}} [/tex] gives you a spinor w(p) with arbitrary p?

No, I did not assume such thing because it is not correct: Multiplying [itex]u_{\alpha}(m,\vec{0})[/itex] by a constant does not turn it into a spinor [itex]w(p)[/itex] with arbitrary [itex]p[/itex], because [itex]\psi[/itex] and [itex]c\psi[/itex] represent the same spinor. Okay, let me repeat what I did, and please pay attention to my logic.

I said: let [itex]w(p)[/itex] be any (completely arbitrary) 4-component spinor. This statement means that we are free to choose [itex]w(p)[/itex] to be any spinor we like.

Then, I used the dispersion relation and concluded that [tex]u(p) = (p\!\!\!/ + m) w(p) , \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex] solves the Dirac’s equation [itex](p\!\!\!/ - m)u(p) = 0[/itex] . Now, because [itex]w[/itex] (in Eq(1)) is arbitrary, we can choose it to be the rest-frame spinor [itex]u_{\beta}(m,\vec{0}) = \begin{pmatrix} \chi_{\beta} \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]. After all, at this time, [itex]u_{\beta}(m,\vec{0})[/itex] is the only spinor we have in our pocket. So in Eq(1), instead of [itex]w(p)[/itex], I substituted the rest-frame spinor [itex]N u_{\beta}(m,\vec{0})[/itex] and obtained the solutions [tex]u_{\beta}(p) = N \begin{pmatrix} (E + m)\chi_{\beta} \\ (\vec{p} \cdot \vec{\sigma}) \chi_{\beta} \end{pmatrix} . \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex]

Now in Eq(2), the 4-momentum [itex]p[/itex] does not have to be the rest-frame 4-momentum [itex](m , \vec{0})[/itex], and [itex]N[/itex] is some constant that we can choose to make our equations look nice. For example, if we insist on the normalization [itex]\bar{u}_{\alpha}(p) u_{\beta}(p) = \delta_{\alpha \beta}[/itex], we find (and I leave you to prove it) that [tex]N = \frac{e^{i\eta}}{\sqrt{2m(E+m)}} .[/tex]

Likes vanhees71
I am perfectly aware of what the word 'arbitrary' means und what a normalization constant is. Anyway, thanks for your time.

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It was formulated by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928.

2. What is the significance of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is significant because it successfully combines quantum mechanics with special relativity, providing a more complete description of the behavior of particles. It also predicted the existence of antimatter, which was later experimentally confirmed.

3. What is the solution to the Dirac equation?

The solution to the Dirac equation is a four-component spinor, which represents the wave function of a spin-1/2 particle. This spinor has both positive and negative energy solutions, which correspond to the electron and its antiparticle, the positron.

4. How is the Dirac equation used in modern physics?

The Dirac equation is used in many areas of modern physics, including quantum field theory, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. It is the basis for the standard model of particle physics and is used to describe the behavior of electrons in materials.

5. Are there any limitations to the Dirac equation?

While the Dirac equation is a very successful and important equation in physics, it does have some limitations. It does not account for the effects of gravity and does not fully explain the behavior of particles at high energies. Additionally, it does not describe the behavior of particles with spin other than 1/2.