Solution verification for various problems

• Thread starter redwhite
  • Start date
In summary: Assuming the person giving the problem has done it correctly, you can check to see if the equations are correct by doing a model answer yourself. How would you do it? Compare with what they did - see if you can follow their reasoning. 1. I'd have preferred the horizontal dotted line drawn through the mass for a FBD, but I wouldn't deduct marks for what was done there.2. I'd have liked to see the initial equations numbered and the words "2 simultaneous equations, 2 unknowns" there someplace, then the numbers used to explain the substitution.After the "therefore" I think there should be a cosine in the quotient - it materialized from nowhere in
redwhite
I have solutions to some physics problems that have been given to me which I think may have errors in them. I would appreciate somebody checking them for me as I am not confident enough to question them without someone more experienced checking them first.

Here's one of them. (I believe the trigonometry is incorrect)

attachment.php?attachmentid=40940&stc=1&d=1321315249.png

(Apologies for the bad quality of the document -- this was exactly how I was given the paper.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Attachments

• q1.PNG
    q1.PNG
    47.1 KB · Views: 548
Physics news on Phys.org
The way to check someone elses work is to figure out a model answer yourself. How would you do it?
Compare with what they did - see if you can follow their reasoning.

1. I'd have preferred the horizontal dotted line drawn through the mass for a FBD, but I wouldn't deduct marks for what was done there.

2. I'd have liked to see the initial equations numbered and the words "2 simultaneous equations, 2 unknowns" there someplace, then the numbers used to explain the substitution.

After the "therefore" I think there should be a cosine in the quotient - it materialized from nowhere in the next line. Note: sin/cos = tan.

The full answer should finish off writing the results in terms used by the question:
"The tension in the 6m cable is... the tension in the 8m cable is ..." like that.

There's three marks allocated for Q2, so there'd be 1 for the force equations, 1 for the substitution, and 1 for working the solution. I'd mark down 0.5 (if that) for the messed derivation (unclear).

Total 4.5/5 (worst case).
OTOH: I never give marks for the correct number out the end, so I didn't bother checking that. I mean: it is important to be able to punch numbers into a calculator/computer properly, I just don't think it's worth marks.

In general, if you do work this good, try to be clear: you can only win.
Assume the person marking your work has just got through 200 like it, your's is the last one, it's 2am, and their lover is calling from the bedroom ... do they stop to decide whether to give you that 0.5 mark or just leave it and go to bed? Make it easy for them to decide in your favour :)

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
1. I'd have preferred the horizontal dotted line drawn through the mass for a FBD, but I wouldn't deduct marks for what was done there.

2. I'd have liked to see the initial equations numbered and the words "2 simultaneous equations, 2 unknowns" there someplace, then the numbers used to explain the substitution.

After the "therefore" I think there should be a cosine in the quotient - it materialized from nowhere in the next line. Note: sin/cos = tan.

There's three marks allocated for that, so there'd be 1 for the force equations, 1 for the substitution, and 1 for working the solution. I'd mark down 0.5 (if that) for the messed derivation (unclear).

Total 4.5/5 (worst case).
OTOH: I never give marks for the correct number out the end, so I didn't bother checking that. I mean: it is important to be able to punch numbers into a calculator/computer properly, I just don't think it's worth marks.

Thanks for your reply.
So with regards to this equation:
mg = T1 sin Ɵ + T2 sin α

shouldn't the equation be T2sin Ɵ + T1sin α
because it appears the hypotenuse for both parts of the equation has been swapped -- i.e. shouldn't it be that T1 is the hypotenuse for α and the hypotenuse for T2 is Ɵ?

Also, with the second equation, I was thinking it too has the same issue with the respective hyptonuses being swapped over.

Last edited:
Well spotted - yep.

Or that you want to swap theta and alpha over in the key :) Check the numbers to see if they have managed to use the correct angle with the correct tension.
(checked - nah they didn't)

their value for sin(\alpha) looks like 0.447something and I get 0.44464 - may want to check the number-crunching completely then.

Would we drop a whole mark for blowing the derivation, though their reasoning was sound?
That would be 3.5/5

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
Well spotted - yep.

Or that you want to swap theta and alpha over in the key :) Check the numbers to see if they have managed to use the correct angle with the correct tension.
(checked - nah they didn't)

their value for sin(\alpha) looks like 0.447something and I get 0.44464 - may want to check the number-crunching completely then.

Would we drop a whole mark for blowing the derivation, though their reasoning was sound?
That would be 3.5/5

Thank you very much for your reply.

I had another problem that I was wishing to verify:
attachment.php?attachmentid=40997&stc=1&d=1321517312.png

Has he gone about this problem correctly, or are there any subtle mistakes here too (e.g. with the trigonometry again)?

Attachments

• question2.PNG
    question2.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 500
Hint: what are those diagrams telling you?

1. What is solution verification?

Solution verification is the process of checking whether a proposed solution to a problem is correct or not. It involves testing the solution against the given problem and determining if it meets all the necessary criteria or requirements.

2. Why is solution verification important?

Solution verification is important because it ensures that the proposed solution to a problem is accurate and reliable. It helps to avoid mistakes and errors, and ensures that the final solution meets the intended goals and objectives.

3. What are the common methods used for solution verification?

The most common methods used for solution verification include testing, simulation, and analytical approaches. Testing involves physically testing the solution, while simulation involves creating a model to test the solution. Analytical approaches involve using mathematical equations and calculations to verify the solution.

4. How do you know if a solution is valid?

A solution is considered valid if it meets all the necessary criteria and requirements set for the problem. This includes satisfying all constraints, producing the desired results, and being feasible and realistic.

5. Can solution verification be automated?

Yes, solution verification can be automated using software tools and programs designed for this purpose. These tools can perform various tests and checks on the solution to determine its validity and accuracy, making the verification process more efficient and reliable.